What is your farthest kill with a 6.5 cartridge?

I took an antelope doe this year at 900 yards with a 264 STW shooting 130 grain swift scirrocos. Back in the 70's I hunted with a guy who made some kills beyond 1000 yards with a 6.5-300 wby. I do not remember which bullet he used. I watched him shoot an elk at nearly 1100 yards with it off a rimmed canyon in Colorado.

I want to try the 110 GS bullets in my STW. How are they performing from you guys that have been shooting them.

Would a 140 VLD going 3100 have enough at 1200 yards to take
a deer or 300 black bear. I believe it would at 1K just 1200 would
that be pushing it? It's out of a 6.5x284 Norma

I think that's asking a bit much from a 6.5. I'm sure it is capable of killing at that range but the question is how many would you wound before you kill one? The problem with the 6.5 at that range is the shot placement would have to be near perfect and that's tough to do even in good conditions. My opinion....Rich

I shot a 5 point bull elk at 570 yards with the 140 gr Berger at 2980 fps with my 6.5x284 Encore. Have also shot antelope out to 430 yards with same setup.

Would a 140 VLD going 3100 have enough at 1200 yards to take
a deer or 300 black bear. I believe it would at 1K just 1200 would
that be pushing it? It's out of a 6.5x284 Norma

I have a buddy shooting a 6.5x284. I load a 140 amax at 3050 for him. A couple of weeks ago we went out and shot some steel targets from 700 out to 1150 yds. I can tell you at 1150 that 6.5 still cratered that plate. We recovered one of his bullets from that range and it had mushroomed and expanded nicely. I wouldn't hesitate to pop a deer sized animal at that range with it. The farthest I have seen a deer shot with that round was just under 600 and it left a heck of hole thru the top of both front shoulders. Their are better rounds for that range but I believe your gun would do it if your capable.

700 yard mule deer, 600 yd coyote, 490 yard javelina, 400 yd cow elk, no problems at all, .264 win mag in a sako finbear, 140 gr sierra gk, h4831 powder cci primer ,i dont remember the velocity. Sorry for the caps my button is stuck

The bull on the homepage banner on our web site was killed at 1102 with a 140 VLD from a 264WM. Normal VLD wound channel. Impact velocity would have been right around 1900fps.

Thats way out there and not a shot that gets the green light very often, but we've taken a bunch of critters in the 600 to 800 yard range with that bullet and performance has been great.

Last edited:
Might catch a little heat for this but I did drop a whitetail at 1150yds at the base of the neck using a 264 Near perfect conditions long time to set up and confirmed by a few witnesses.
BTW the bullet, Nosler 120gr I know I know it was a long time ago and I got anxious but I still don't regret it. I wouldn't attempt that now though.

Might catch a little heat for this but I did drop a whitetail at 1150yds at the base of the neck using a 264 Near perfect conditions long time to set up and confirmed by a few witnesses.
BTW the bullet, Nosler 120gr I know I know it was a long time ago and I got anxious but I still don't regret it. I wouldn't attempt that now though.

GOOD Shot:D

1007 yds. Idaho has extra doe tags and i dumped that doe with one shot and had a couple buddies there filming and spotting it.
6.5-.284 140 gr. Berger VLD @ 2960 fps

I've killed several woodchucks with the 6.5 - .284 pushing the 140 grain A-Max around 3000 fps. Furthest I can remember is one at 1254 yards.

Muley buck at 780yds with my 264 and a 130gr AB. I actually missed the first shot but my wife spotted the impact and I was able to adjust and land the second one...DRT. It was pure luck but I figured if he was willing to stand there for a second shot then I was willing to ablige him with it! In hindsight, I had no business shooting that far back then but it still worked out in the end...sometimes it pays to be lucky...

I shot a 5 point bull elk at 570 yards with the 140 gr Berger at 2980 fps with my 6.5x284 Encore. Have also shot antelope out to 430 yards with same setup.

that is my exact setup and hope to draw an elk tag in WY this fall.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.