What’s your favorite cartridge?

I have a 338WM and it's the biggest I have. Don't really need anything bigger than that. With the brake I had gotten placed on it. It's now a fun rifle to shoot, and it does the job. A little big for deer and Antelope, but it works for those too. I have another one coming in a 26" barrel length. I'll see I can get a little more out of it. The one I use now is a 24" barrel, and I am getting 3230fps out of it, with a 200gr Accubond bullet. the last four I shot, 2 dead in their tracks, and the other 2 went about 15 to 20 yards.
There is No Substitute For HP 😂😀‼️👍👍

Hard to say what my favorite is. Would depend on what I'm shooting at. I'm a fan of almost anything Ackley. But I've grown pretty fond of my 28 Nosler since building it. But this one "could be" my favorite!

Attachments

• 20230221_171243.jpg
    20230221_171243.jpg
    900.9 KB · Views: 26
Or….one of the improved versions! 😉 memtb
Improved versions? Kind of like asking guys whether they prefer blondes, brunettes, or redheads...you'll always get a myriad of responses, mostly based on personal experience. In my humble 45+ years of experience the venerable (unimproved) .375 H &H has done it all, splendidly. Duiker to Buff, and any and all in between. Elk, Red Deer, the Big Bears ... you name it.
Inside 300 yds ( which is considered gentlemanly in my circle ...with the exception of Buff, Elephant, Lion, and Leopard) one could not do better.
With (I believe) 14 fine rifles in all flavors to choose from, my LH Chet Brown Pro Hunter in .375 has travelled 3-4 times the miles of the next 4 combined through the years.
An old man...not looking for a cat fight...just sayin'.
Cheers
Spike

Or….one of the improved versions! 😉 memtb
I know a few old wizened geezers who would (still try to) empty a full bar in Bozeman Montana at the mere suggestion ...probably from a flat-lander...that it was even possible to "improve" that Unicorn.
Cheers
Spike

Improved versions? Kind of like asking guys whether they prefer blondes, brunettes, or redheads...you'll always get a myriad of responses, mostly based on personal experience. In my humble 45+ years of experience the venerable (unimproved) .375 H &H has done it all, splendidly. Duiker to Buff, and any and all in between. Elk, Red Deer, the Big Bears ... you name it.
Inside 300 yds ( which is considered gentlemanly in my circle ...with the exception of Buff, Elephant, Lion, and Leopard) one could not do better.
With (I believe) 14 fine rifles in all flavors to choose from, my LH Chet Brown Pro Hunter in .375 has travelled 3-4 times the miles of the next 4 combined through the years.
An old man...not looking for a cat fight...just sayin'.
Cheers
Spike

Spike, point well taken!

I have had a .375 H&H since the early '90's. I loved (still love) it, but when changing geographical locations …..found it to be too heavy for my type of hunting, somewhat range limiting, and less weather resistant than I desired.

So, I had a semi-custom .375 AI built, which fulfilled my wants pretty well. At the time it was very easy to get components for, and to fire form cases meanwhile remaining legal for the largest game in most of Africa….if I were to get to go!

Running a reamer into a .375 H&H chamber by a competent gunsmith is easy and very inexpensive, transforming an already great cartridge into a superb cartridge…..while still being to use factory H&H ammo (if necessary) and losing very little performance!

If someone likes the .375 H&H, but would like a bit more reach….the conversion seemed a "no-brainer" to me. If someone disagrees…..obviously, that is their right! memtb

Last edited:
When my 25-06 was stolen it was my absolute favorite cartridge. It's replacement was the Tikka T3 because they made left handed rifles in a bunch of calibers. It was my first time shooting a left handed bolt and man did I fall in love with it. I bought it in the short mag craze. A 270 wsm that propelled a 140 grain bullet at 3200 fps. I shot it so much I melted the barrel down and replaced it with an 8 twist. Been shooting a 6.8 Western since 2009.😂 Not gonna lie, it's a fine cartridge.
It sucks some a$$hole stole your rifle.

I'm not a lefty but Tikka are a good choice and make a good donor action.

My .280a.i. was a new Tikka .25-06 on clearance. Never ever fired it but the .25-06 is loved by those who have them .

I would push the .280a.i. more but if your "Lefty" is a magnum boltface then the 7prc might interest you next time around.

I seem to like the 7mm for some reason so I've researched the 7prc

I might try find some cases and dies so I can rebarrell my .300wm one day

I've always been interested in the 6.5/284
What are actual velocities with 140's?
Reloading manuals IMO download this round since the NEEDMORE
I have not shot 140's and mine shoots so well with 124g HH that I haven't played with anything else.
The 124s can get up above 3200 but my best shooting node is a little below that. Mine is a hunting rifle and I love it.