My favorite LR cartridge is 7STW-What's yours

JD222

Speaking of medium/big game hunting cartridges out to 750 yards, my personal favorite is the 7STW. Given the wide range of bullets offered in 7mm & the energy provided, I'm a huge fan.

What's your favorite LR cartridge for hunting out to 750? Why?

JD

Speaking of medium/big game hunting cartridges out to 750 yards, my personal favorite is the 7STW. Given the wide range of bullets offered in 7mm & the energy provided, I'm a huge fan.

What's your favorite LR cartridge for hunting out to 750? Why?

JD

The .300 WM (loaded with 190-215 Berger) remains my go to chambering for antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards ... because it simply rocks!

Just in case you didn't know there's a forum dedicated entirely for the 7MM STW >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f126/

300 Win Mag is awesome for all-around use. I usually carry a 270 WSM for deer and a 338-378 for elk though.

I can't help myself. I have a disease called "wildcater". So I would have to go with my latest which is a 7RUM shortened to about the length of a .338RUM to give it a .100" longer neck. My STW case holds 98 grains of water and the .338RUM case necked to 7 holds 107 grains of water. These obviously hold less than the RUM which holds 113.5 grains.

7RM good out to 800 and at top end of what I like to take kick wise with out adding brake.

I would just as soon shoot my 6-47L out to 750 and save my 300 WBY's and 338 Edge to use when the distance reaches 4 digits. But, that'a me.

Tod

My favorite LRH cartridge for several years is the 6.5x284. Consistent benchrest grade accuracy, light recoil,and when loaded to 3000FPS with a 140gr, high BC bullet, has proven to be an effective game killer. Relatively easy to build a rifle that is heavy enough to be a very stable long range shooting platform, but still be well balanced and light enough(<10.5#) to carry all day.

I'm surprised at the number of guys picking the old tried & proven 300 Win. mag considering all the new hot rod cartridges out there. The old Win. mag would be my 2nd choice but with a 150 grain bullet screaming.

I prefer lighter bullets & maximum velocity, one of the reasons for choosing the STW. I'll probably be scoffed at, but in my STW I shoot 140 or 150 grain bullets at hyper velocity, most primers flattened. Barrel life? Lots of companies make new barrels & it's only money.

In the beginning I mentioned deer size to big game animals. Well the largest animal I hunt is an Axis exotic, max around 350 lbs. but mostly antelope, whitetail, & mule deer in wide open country where 400 yard shots are normal.

Jim D

I'm surprised at the number of guys picking the old tried & proven 300 Win. mag considering all the new hot rod cartridges out there. The old Win. mag would be my 2nd choice but with a 150 grain bullet screaming.

I prefer lighter bullets & maximum velocity, one of the reasons for choosing the STW. I'll probably be scoffed at, but in my STW I shoot 140 or 150 grain bullets at hyper velocity, most primers flattened. Barrel life? Lots of companies make new barrels & it's only money.

In the beginning I mentioned deer size to big game animals. Well the largest animal I hunt is an Axis exotic, max around 350 lbs. but mostly antelope, whitetail, & mule deer in wide open country where 400 yard shots are normal.

Jim D

Nope, no surprise for me ... it simply works like a champ. Jeff's real world experience is hard to beat >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

I also prefer heavy bullets esp. on windy conditions ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/0g8VvpqdtkQ?t=4[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.