My favorite LR cartridge is 7STW-What's yours

Chalk up another 300 Winnie fan. I became infatuated with the cartridge early last spring. Got a Model 70 (WalMart model) for a song. Added a Brux 27" barrel, Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock and Vortex Viper PST FFP glass and it was a match made in heaven (for me). Using the 375 H&H mag box and bolt stop and the 7 STW mag follower I can load the heavy bullets longer than SAAMI and the thing shoots hunting loads 1/2 MOA or better. Haven't worked with the Berger 215s yet but the 200 and 212 ELD-X and the 200 and 220 SMK are phenomenal in this rifle. That with the broad selection of 30 cal bullets for handloading and the relative abundance of factory ammo should the need arise, I couldn't be happier. LOL - a couple years ago I had been thinking I'd never need anything other than my Krieger-barreled 700 in .270 Win. What was I thinking???
:)

If it's "tried and proven", why are you surprised? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There is a reason most LRH have one, and was probably their first, and chances are, their backup after their new toys.
Got to agree. 300 win mag is my go to. Have been playing with my new tikka 300wsm. Impressive

i used a custom made 7mm RM, Sako action & 26" Douglas barrel, for years & years before the intro. of all the LR bullets & killed elk out to 700 yds. I loaded up some 180 gr. Berger VLD's & it shoots them well, but haven't hunted with it. But my first choice would be my 30-378 Wby Mag. with Berger 210 VLD's on top of H50BMG.

Just received my 300wm barrel and VZ-24 mauser action back from ER Shaw. Put it together...including CDI bottom metal. I shot it last week and the first group after the 15 shot break in were all touching (5 shot)...even though I was not really trying during the 15 shots 8 of those are in one hole about 1/2" around.

So I have a new favorite rifle. It weighs over 15lb with a empty mag...but I'm looking forward to a hunt I just found out I was lucky enough to have been drawn for. Desert west Texas...big country! The hunt is for exotic mammals. They have tons of exotics they want removed...300wm will get to stretch it legs on this hunt.

Here is a picture of my 300wm...pretty proud of it seeing how I cut the tree down that the stock is made out of.

Attachments

• 20170811_002250.jpg
    20170811_002250.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 158
Out to 6-700, my 308 Win. Further than that, I enjoy my 264 WM. Though, I do have fun using my 243 Win out to 800 every now and then.
All are straight factory rifles.

I'm liking a few but mostly my 7mm Remington Magnum. Remington 700 Sendero and vortex pst. Here's a sow that fell to a Nosler accubond LR at 350 yds. No tracking required lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0043.JPG
    IMG_0043.JPG
    533.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 106
My new favorite is the first " real " long range gun I have owned that was seriously accurate. Finally spent some coin and went all out. It's a Mcmillan EOL Yukon in 7mm Ultra Mag that I got " used " w 40 rounds through it for less than half a new one. shoots 195 Bergers under 1/2 Moa at 3125 fps. I put a 5-25 Nf Atacr on it. Weighs 10 pounds all done, not to bad of a carry rifle. I shot an antelope w it two weeks ago at 634 yards. Love it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 97
Some good choices! I have not been able to find many shots over 300 yards, so my "long range " rifles have not had much range time to be tested past that. However, I love my 7 STW with 150 Swifts, my 260 Remy with 130 ELDs, and my latest build is showing great promise: a Remy 700 with a Brux barrel in 6x47 Lapua. Just broke it in and it loves the 105 AMAXs. Shot a 5 shot 100 yd. group into .192. The last shot was a nerve wrackin shot, but it went in. I am hoping to shoot steel and paper to 1K. All three should be able do that. I have shot the 260 to 967 yds so the new build has a lot to live up to!

I too hunt with the 7-300 weatherby. Shot the 7stw for years then switched to the 7-300. No novelty to it. Shoots ballistically the same as the stw and weatherby brass is easy to come by.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.