? what is your Deer Rifle?

I would have to say my favorite deer rifle is a J E CUSTOM, 7/08 with a 1 in 9 twist, Hunter bench
rest taper 22"' Lilja barrel, using 120gr ballistic tips @ 3010 ft/sec.

It is my go to rifle and has taken game to 600yards+.

If I could post pictures I would.

J E CUSTOM

7mm magnum puts em down. I used to use a 223 or 243 or 308 and you never know how far those succkers are going to run after you shoot them. My father in law shot a buck and neck shot it dead. I was shooting too and he claimed he killed it. He did kill it but upon gutting the deer there was a 308 hole right thru the chest. I was shooting a 308 and he shot once. He admitted he was shooting a dead deer running. Seen my dad shoot a deer right in the heart with 243 and run 200 yard. Seen my brother use his AR on a deer and run and run and run and run until deer layed down for finisher. When I switched to bigger caliber the goats, deer and elk all seemed to not be willing to live as long and of course on your oops shots like you had it does seem to make a mess so they do die. Don't get me wrong all these calibers are awesome deer loads but a little bigger is better I believe. Even went back to 308 this winter for late doe and plugged one - no blood into sloough if wouldn't have had snow to track deer wouldn't have found it. Have killed tons of stuff with "smaller" guns but like a little more powder behind the bullet now.

my gun of choice for deer and game up to the size of caribou is a 25x47
i have 2 rifles chambered in this 1 is a cooper model 21 single shot which is # 3 of 10 that cooper made and the second is a ultra light arms model 20 single shot
i hand load for both so to help me not mix up the loaded ammo when i leave the house i load 2 different loads
load #1 for the cooper is 100 gr. nozler partion
load #2 for the ula is 80 gr ttsx
both work very well and have taken deer out to 411 yrdsgun)
DSCN1744.jpg

Traking gun is a 760 carbine in 30.06 It had a peep sight till 07. I now have a 3200 1.5-4.5 with the firefly and raingard . I doesn't carry like the peep but I can see what I'm aiming at. I may switch to some form of red dot and move it forward so I can carry it. The other 2 are both 270 win. A M70 lightweight in a forest laminate, pillar bedded 3x9 monarch shoots a 3100fps SGK into an 1" at 100. The other is a Vangard. This rifle is also has a 3x9 monarch, pillar bedded trigger tuned to 13/4# shoots great 1/2" at 200 yds with 3 different loads.
My wife Mary shoots either the laminate 270 or a M70 varmint 243 if she's in the "condo" A sugar house we use for a stand to watch the upper pastures of my cousin's farm

I rec'vd a Weatherby Vanguard back Country for my retirement a few yars ago. It's a .257 Wby Mag. I used to shoot a .270 & 7Rem Mag, but this 257 Wby is awesome. Shoots as flat as a laser.

30-06 Remington M700. I shoot Hornady or Sierra 165 grain SP @ 2950 fps with .5 MOA accuracy. The scope is a Cabela's Pine Ridge that is ok, I'm changing it to a Bushnell 4200 in the next few months.

I shoot the most with my 243, Then I started packing larger calibers and was usually combo hunting. My 325 wsm has it for muleys.

what is your Deer Rifle?

Rem700 mountain rifle, 280 rem 140 grn pills..good for short, good for long . Bang- Flop

After 30+ years of hunting, I settled on the 308 winchester.

For the last 5 years, I have been using a Kimber 84M in the aforementioned caliber. I use it for woods and stand hunting where the shots should be from 10-250 yards. She wears a Zeiss 2.-8x32 scope. The rifle shoots 7/8" 5 shot groups with Sierra 150 grain flat based, spire points at right about 2800 fps. So far the rig has put over a dozen whitetail in the freezer and a hog or two too.

If the shots are likely to be past 250 yards, I use a Remington 700 action with a heavy Hart barrel. With its Zeiss 6.5-20x50 scope, she'll send 5 of those same Sierras into under a half inch at 100 yards.

300 ultra mag remi with an 26" barrel , pushing a barnes 168 TSX 3518 FPS . its a little over kill but its shoots 1/2 MOA and most of my shots are under 250 but this year shot a nice cull at 425YRDS nothing has yet to take a step with this set up , have a leupold but switching to a Zeiss or swarovski this year due larger bucks moveing right at dark :D

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.