What is the max range of my elk hunting load?

What is the max range in yards?

• under 250

Votes: 33 9.6%

Votes: 6 1.7%

Votes: 19 5.5%

Votes: 14 4.1%

Votes: 35 10.1%

Votes: 37 10.7%

Votes: 43 12.5%

Votes: 3 0.9%

Votes: 29 8.4%

Votes: 11 3.2%

Votes: 21 6.1%

Votes: 12 3.5%

Votes: 26 7.5%

Votes: 5 1.4%

Votes: 5 1.4%

Votes: 4 1.2%

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • over 1000

Votes: 35 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
second of all realize the VLD bullet is essentially a varmint bullet with a very tight hollow point in construction. I think they work best on deer and smaller animals and at longer ranges where the bullet has bleed off some of its speed.

I no way shape or form have I found Berger bullets to act as a varmint bullet, I've tried to get them to blow up to early and I've been unable to. In every case they go in a couple inches then start to open and usually just inside they open at an accelerated rate then blow a hole out the off side.

I no way shape or form have I found Berger bullets to act as a varmint bullet, I've tried to get them to blow up to early and I've been unable to. In every case they go in a couple inches then start to open and usually just inside they open at an accelerated rate then blow a hole out the off side.

I never said they blow up like a varmint bullet, read carefully I said the way the bullet is built is the same way a varmint bullet is just with a very tight meplate. there is nothing to hold the core to the jacket AND the jackets are pretty darn thin. again similar to how a varmint bullet is put together. I personally use them and feel good about deer sized animals, but large bull elk or moose while I haven't shot any with a VLD I feel better about an all copper bullet, and aiming for bone to break the animal down.

I sure hope the fellow that started this thread checks back in. LOL. With a little luck maybe he actually went hunting!

I would likely shoot that combo to around 800yrds very carefully, do not shoot it in the shoulder or spine and just tuck it behind the shoulder and let it do it's work. Lot of variable just manage them! By the way I've scaled close to 2000 elk on certified scales that came from the greater Yellowstone area and only one would have hit 700lbs soaking wet. The average elk scales at 250lbs add around 175ish for all the goodies, mature bulls will have a hard time breaking 380lbs on the rail.
Last elk I killed was a cow and weighed in at 236lbs of meat in my freezer. After processing, in freezer paper packaging, 236lbs. The last coues whitetail I killed weighed 82lbs. :)

The fella that started this ( I believe said )it is all he has to take. His weapon will work but with limitations. Berger should work I have no experience with them.

The question is how does the vld react to hitting bone instead of soft tissue behind the shoulder.

Just for fun, I put in one of my loads for my 300 Ultra Mag for comparison. I left all the setings like he had them set except for my bullet info. Just a little difference I would say...

3ooRUMBallistics.jpg

Just for fun, I put in one of my loads for my 300 Ultra Mag for comparison. I left all the setings like he had them set except for my bullet info. Just a little difference I would say...

3ooRUMBallistics.jpg
3650 fps with a .210gr bullet out of a .300 RUM???

Really?

Really?

Is this a new rocket powered bullet???

Surely it was an innocent mistake. Sometimes when you leave the box highlighted, it will move the velocity up or down when u try to scroll up on the webpage. Maybe he meant 3050? I would think more like 2950 but I have never loaded for one.

Surely it was an innocent mistake. Sometimes when you leave the box highlighted, it will move the velocity up or down when u try to scroll up on the webpage. Maybe he meant 3050? I would think more like 2950 but I have never loaded for one.
Pretty much what I was t hinking which is why I asked... .

I sure as hell wouldnt want to be in the AO when that thing was fired!gun)

3650 fps with a .210gr bullet out of a .300 RUM???

Really?

Really?

Is this a new rocket powered bullet???

It wasn't a typo but it was the wrong info. The stated info was for the 185's. The 210's are running a good bit slower at 3450 fps. I run the 210's at 3450 with 98 grns of H1000, the 185's at 3650 with 102 grns of H1000 and the 155's really sizzle at 3970 fps with 108 grns of H1000.

Not a rocket but it'll shoot!

Blackknight, I had 300 rum and with 96 grains of retumbo I ran at 3150 fps. I think you better be checkin your chronograph if your getting that kind of speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.