What is the max range of my elk hunting load?

What is the max range in yards?

• under 250

Votes: 33 9.6%

Votes: 6 1.7%

Votes: 19 5.5%

Votes: 14 4.1%

Votes: 35 10.1%

Votes: 37 10.7%

Votes: 43 12.5%

Votes: 3 0.9%

Votes: 29 8.4%

Votes: 11 3.2%

Votes: 21 6.1%

Votes: 12 3.5%

Votes: 26 7.5%

Votes: 5 1.4%

Votes: 5 1.4%

Votes: 4 1.2%

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • over 1000

Votes: 35 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wild Rose. I have lived here in NW Montana for 53 years and have hunted all but 11 of them. WT Deer do not reach 400 lbs and the Moose are not near as large as the canada or the alaskan moose. I have personally been on three different bull moose kills. Think you better come up here and take a look and if someone told you otherwise they are full of S^%T and grossly exagerating. The Mule deer here are quite a bit larger then the White Tail here
What you are seeing locally has zero to do with the facts I posted.

Not that it matters, but growing up in Iowa and also hunting Missouri and Kansas white tails all my life I have seen some of the biggest bucks around. Including the world record "Lovstuen Buck" which was taken 20 minutes south of my farm in Ia.

Biggest Buck Ever Shot!

The antlers don't tell all the story but these midwesten WT deer eat soybeans, corn and alfalpha most if not all of the year. This produces some very heavy deer when in their prime. The biggest I have ever heard of was 300 lbs after gutted and hung from a scale on a skidlaoder. add 50 lbs for guts and I feel you would have to look a long ways to find a bigger WT deer over 350 lbs, on the hoof. It should also be noted that it is common for a taxidermist to have to add filler to a mold to accomodate the midwestern white tails cape as they are usually bigger than the large molds available.

FWIW

Jeff

Wildrose, you honestly don't have a clue.
Not only do I have more than just a clue, I have the facts on my side which I verified and provided links in support of.

If everything possible in this world is limited by your own personal experiences it'd be an awfully tiny world.

Read and learn.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ni6Hbqm04vIC&pg=PA159&lpg=PA159&dq=Carl.+J+Lenander+deer&source=bl&ots=7mqDYVKgDH&sig=y4jDETBGB8h4ADOzYfrE2jJ1JDA#v=onepage&q=Carl.%20J%20Lenander%20deer&f=false

Last edited:
What have you been smoking Wildrose?
A whitetail at 455 lbs? now thats funny. That is probably an average sized elk. I would say Big Green is on the money with weights as far as elk go. I have not killed alot of elk, and never a huge bull but, out of 7 that I have killed the quarters run about 75 lbs each for a total of 300 on the rail. One nice 6 point went 350. This is normal. Hell, my dad and several friends have killed bull moose and they don't go 1000 pnds live weight.

A large Whitetail and I mean large will be around 160 -180 on the rail, Muleys are much larger then White tails
Bull moose most certainly do go well over 1000 lbs live weight. I have shot more than my fair share of moose and been in on the feild work after on enough of them that this is more than a reliable statement. I am hoping to get one next week actaully as I leave for my trip on sunday

Bman, up where you live in canada and alaska, yes they have quite a bit larger moose then here in the states. I am talking here in the U.S. The Shiras Moose

Wildrose. reading the link that you posted basiclly shows one thing, its more of a freakish thing to find a WT deer that is that large, but yes it has happened but is not common at all.

Last edited:
Bman, up where you live in canada and alaska, yes they have quite a bit larger moose then here in the states. I am talking here in the U.S. The Shiras Moose

Wildrose. reading the link that you posted basiclly shows one thing, its more of a freakish thing to find a WT deer that is that large, but yes it has happened but is not common at all.
Which is why I never said it was common.

However in some locales 300-400lbs WT's are indeed fairly common.

As for Moose, well yes even in the US they can easily exceed 1,000lbs.
Moose are North America's largest deer species. Minnesota specimens, known as the Canada subspecies, can weigh up to 1,300 pounds. For their size alone, they capture the imaginations of hunters, present and past.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/volunteer/sepoct06/moosehunt.html

Last edited:
Personally I'm going for the spine and shoulderblades. That way if I'm low I right on target for both lungs or heart.

I'd put a tentative limit of 1000yds.

That limit would likely be extended though if it were the right bull (Once in a lifetime OMG Bull) under the right circumstances.

Of course the smallest thing I'd be shooting at him would be my 7mm STWgun)

:)

.257 IS a little undergunned at that range for an elk.
Ya wildrose is spot on the 257 is a flat shooter but only a 115 not much punch on an elk specially through the shoulder is say 600 but rockies are a little smaller then theses rosies

My personal opinion,... get a better caliber with more punch for the job at hand and IF you still are determined to use this choice I wouldn't go past 200 yards with it for an ethicical shot,... JMO

For me and my Gun I limit it to around +-1500 Ft/Lbs..@800 yds....Yours I would limit it to=460yds MAX.
PS: I Graduated to the 338WM after 45 years with my 1959 Mod 70 F/W .270 kill everything in North America TOOL.

Last edited:
a 25-06 with a berger VLD for elk. I personally think its a poor combination, I am sure its been done and will work if you manage to hit the elk just right. I like using a mono metal bullet of at least .277 or larger on elk, hit them in the back part of the shoulder and anchor the bull right on the spot.

second of all realize the VLD bullet is essentially a varmint bullet with a very tight hollow point in construction. I think they work best on deer and smaller animals and at longer ranges where the bullet has bleed off some of its speed.

a tikka in 30-06 or 300 mag is what $500 bucks, couple it with a CDS scope and for 1k you have a rifle capable of doing what you need it to do. thats my advice.

The Savage in 111 under , depending on options.

My win 70 30-06 is a solid hunting platform for elk and deer.

I intend to get the Savage 111 with 26" barrel and accu trigger and a couple other benis in 30-06, with a good scope, then finally a Savage .308 long shooter for fun target shooting and maybe an occasional deer.

This is what I have come to thinking being here for the past month.

As a good friend of mine says, 'you can neck a 30-06 down to a .308 but you cant load a .308 up to a 30-06'.

The Savage in 111 under , depending on options.

My win 70 30-06 is a solid hunting platform for elk and deer.

I intend to get the Savage 111 with 26" barrel and accu trigger and a couple other benis in 30-06, with a good scope, then finally a Savage .308 long shooter for fun target shooting and maybe an occasional deer.

This is what I have come to thinking being here for the past month.

As a good friend of mine says, 'you can neck a 30-06 down to a .308 but you cant load a .308 up to a 30-06'.
They are both .30 Cal's... They shoot the same bullets.gun)

Status
Not open for further replies.