What is the max range of my elk hunting load?

What is the max range in yards?

• under 250

Votes: 33 9.6%

Votes: 6 1.7%

Votes: 19 5.5%

Votes: 14 4.1%

Votes: 35 10.1%

Votes: 37 10.7%

Votes: 43 12.5%

Votes: 3 0.9%

Votes: 29 8.4%

Votes: 11 3.2%

Votes: 21 6.1%

Votes: 12 3.5%

Votes: 26 7.5%

Votes: 5 1.4%

Votes: 5 1.4%

Votes: 4 1.2%

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • over 1000

Votes: 35 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
John Burns stated that it was a high shoulder shot.

Energy is a poor metric for determining killing power. Momentum is a better indicator of penetrating ability (assuming proper bullet construction). Velocity is a better indicator of bullet expansion (again, depending on bullet construction).

If you get both bullet expansion and penetration into the vitals. The bullet will kill.

BTW, I've killed with the .25-06 at a few yards shy of 950, so I have some idea of what it'll do at that range. Simply put, as long as we're talking about chest shots, I wouldn't want to be an elk in the way of that bullet...

Now, can the momentum be confused with energy, so can they be classified as the same thing? The velocity has to be enough that it allows proper expansion but the momentum has to be enough that it drives through the vitals and penetrates enough. Could it be that the "energy" is translated into the damage that is done?

Now, can the momentum be confused with energy, so can they be classified as the same thing? The velocity has to be enough that it allows proper expansion but the momentum has to be enough that it drives through the vitals and penetrates enough. Could it be that the "energy" is translated into the damage that is done?

Momentum is conserved in a collision like this, so any momentum that the bullet loses, is directly transfered to whatever part of the animal is in the bullet's path.

Energy is not conserved. This is important because what you're saying is true, but with a caveat. Energy is what enables the bullet to do everything that it does. The bullet expanding, pushing tissue out of its way, etc, all uses energy, in various forms, that is converted from the kinetic energy that the bullet has upon impact. However, much of that kinetic energy also gets converted into heat, is used to penetrate the hide, to deform itself during expansion/fragmentation, etc. Add to that the fact that the kinetic energy at the animal is unknown, depending on atmospheric conditions, range to the animal, etc. So what you're saying is true, energy is certainly translated into the damage that is done, but only some of the muzzle energy gets converted into the damage that causes the death of the animal. This is why comparing the muzzle energy of two bullets isn't the most realistic way to compare the effectiveness of both bullets, especially when different bullets may require different impact velocities to expand, have different expansion characteristics, different penetration characteristics, etc.

But energy certainly is required for any damage to be done to an animal, for sure.

Momentum is conserved in a collision like this, so any momentum that the bullet loses, is directly transfered to whatever part of the animal is in the bullet's path.

Energy is not conserved. This is important because what you're saying is true, but with a caveat. Energy is what enables the bullet to do everything that it does. The bullet expanding, pushing tissue out of its way, etc, all uses energy, in various forms, that is converted from the kinetic energy that the bullet has upon impact. However, much of that kinetic energy also gets converted into heat, is used to penetrate the hide, to deform itself during expansion/fragmentation, etc. Add to that the fact that the kinetic energy at the animal is unknown, depending on atmospheric conditions, range to the animal, etc. So what you're saying is true, energy is certainly translated into the damage that is done, but only some of the muzzle energy gets converted into the damage that causes the death of the animal. This is why comparing the muzzle energy of two bullets isn't the most realistic way to compare the effectiveness of both bullets, especially when different bullets may require different impact velocities to expand, have different expansion characteristics, different penetration characteristics, etc.

But energy certainly is required for any damage to be done to an animal, for sure.

What I have a hard time understanding is the energy figures that are given to a particular animal. Whether it's Elk or Deer or another, how is the 1000lbs or 1500lbs determined. How can it be determined that the "number" is 1000lbs or 1500lbs or even 2000lbs. It could be figured that a bullet expands and reaches the far side and all the damage in between had enough energy for that given bullet. I don't think that if a bullet doesn't have that "1000lbs" at the target, that it won't do its job. But at the same time with different bullets comes different energy transfers too.

Something I have learned from this thread:

Everybody thinks that everyone around them is stupid.
Guess what... You're all right!

Like working with a bunch on women.

I'm with those that want to know how the hunt turned out.
I don't know the op but would be willing to loan him a 30-06 or 7mag if it'll help keep the peace...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.