What Is The Lowest Temp You've Hunted?

Gentlemen, I am really impressed. I would NEVER go out in those temperatures, well, maybe, if there wee not wind. It's much nicer when things are calm. But wow!
Again, I am impressed.

I agree with you TopGun, covering up, and making sure you have the right gear. Just like optics, you get what you pay for and good gear will make the difference between a good time and tragedy.

-30f with the wind howling, SW Mt.. We were thankful the truck started on the first growl cause thats all the battery we had. Had to let it run 30-40 minutes to get it out of gear. Old truck, had a thermos on the floor freeze with the heaters on. A creek ice dammed just as we came to it, it diverted over the road, we were glad to get out. Shot one old snowshoe hare with my 41 magnum, left ear still rings from that one. Under the heading of God works in strange ways, we came upon a woman with a broke down car, a baby, and 2 kids about dark, miles from anywhere, and gave them a ride to town. I'm not sure that would have turned out good otherwise. As it was with the woman and baby up front, the 2 bigger kids and I got in back, (an old single layer aluminum uninsulated shell), and covered up with all the sleeping bags, blankets, laid out on our duffels. I really believe that was the purpose of the whole trip.
I'll leave it to other folks these days.

That is a good story, I let my wife read it, and we agree with you; He works in mysterious ways.

i remember hunting in Sascatchewan for deer. -40 one morning and -45 the next. spent all day in a metal tree stand both days. the farmer i was staying with picked me up, rolled down his window and said i was a hell of a lookin mess. had 2 yellow snot sickles both froze to my facemask hanging down below my chin. wish i could tell you a saw a bunch of stuff. one coyote and 2 indians drove the truck up to me on a sizemic line and looked at me a while.

said i was a hell of a lookin mess. had 2 yellow snot sickles both froze to my facemask hanging down below my chin.

LOL! That's too funny!

-20ºF for me. It was the first time I heard trees popping from being so cold; they were cracking almost the whole way up. It took me awhile to figure out what the popping sound was. Pretty loud actually.

The coldest deer hunt I've ever been on the temps were in the single digits. Last November it got pretty cold on our elk hunt. The pop cans froze and the hard boiled
jpg.gif
eggs froze and they were inside coolers.

Attachments

• DSC_1012-copy.jpg
    DSC_1012-copy.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 18
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.