What's the neatest thing you've found while hunting (other than game)

Max Pressure

This made for a good thread years ago on another site and I get a kick out of what hunters have found in the woods. One guy found $400,000.00 while coyote hunting in New Mexico ! Obviously a drug drop.

A couple different types of hats, gloves rain jacket that wasn't my size. But the most valuable, was the piece of mind and a few very good friends.

I found a custom built hunting knife near Hawks Rest Yellowstone country. Looked like it had been lost the season prior. Also found an almost perfect spearhead years later. Pulled up to water my string of ponies, walked up stream about 20 yards to get myself a drink and there it was on the edge of stream bank stuck about half in the mud. My guess is the water cutting away at the bank exposed it.

Most of the places I hunted was a long way from a trail head so never found much stuff laying around. Here is something that happened that I thought was one in a million. What do you think.

Hunting Utah in the early 60's Mt Belknap. Early on we were the only guys hunting the top of Fish Creek at about 8-10,000 feet. I started noticing in some of the most remote areas on that mountain there would be a name carved in an Aspin. The name was Owen Despain. Me and my buddies would talk about it when we would meet up for the night and wonder who and the hell that guy was.

It was my last trip into that country in 1986 when I ran into a fella sitting looking down into one of my favorite canyons. We talked for awhile and I asked him how he found this place. His answer was my grandfather used to run sheep in here during the summers. You know what my next question was right?

What was your grandfathers name and his answer was Owen Despain. Now we are sitting 5 miles from where the jeep was parked in a drainage that is 20 miles long and at about 9,000 feet .What are the odds??

We talked for a couple hours. One of a kind and memorable day!!

Re: What's the neatest thing you've found while hunting (other than game) ?

That's pretty awesome kcebcj. Also neat that Despain has kept the area in the family for that long. We need to pass down hunting to our kids and grandkids or our sport will disappear forever.

I had quite the find while quail hunting down by Nogales with my brother and a buddy of mine a few years back. We were walking down the bottom of this Canyon and I saw this "rock" that looked a little different then the other ones around it. So I decided to go check it out. The closer I got to it the less it looked like a rock. I couldn't believe my eyes when I finally got up to it and it was a human skull! I yelled to my buddy and called my brother and told them they're never gonna believe what I found. We called the sheriff and when he got there we started looking and found the rest of the skeleton and his wallet up a side canyon. He was an illegal that had died crossing threw. I've seen some other crazy stuff but that one is the tops for sure.

Back in the I was hunting aBovey Yellowjacket Creek and was walking a ridge. The ridge top was onlying slightly wider than the trail with steep c slopes on either side. Anything on that trail surely had to single fileline

I came to a bit of a wide spot, while munching a snack I noticed something a bit out of place.

Did a little digging. Huh, brass! More digging. Dug enough to learn I'd found both head and foot ends of a twin size brass bed. That spot was hours walk from the closest anything. I can't imagine how it got there or when. Probably during the gold digging dsys.

I'd have to say the solitude and the beauty, be it mountains or prairie, of the places I've been blessed to hunt. I once found my own knife, within feet of a mule deer I had just shot. Several years prior, I had taken another mulie bedded in same spot in Colorado. Guess I must have been excited and left it where I dressed the first deer.

Hunting for elk years ago I found a pair of 10x40 binocs. Been setting there for at least a couple years at a guess. Can't recall the name, now but I ran a computer check and found that Leupold had imported them. I figured what the hell... the glass was still good,
send them in for refurbishing (free for lifetime). They sent me a NEW pair of similar glass in exchange!!!

rootie3

Not my find, but a fellow guide in the Washakie wilderness found a Rem. 700, 7mm with Leupold scope in the trail. Apparently fell out of someone's scabbard on the ride out. Must have been from the previous fall because it was pretty rusted when I was it.

A leopard track on a farm I was hunting in South Africa. Arrowheads, pictographs ( I live in Utah now) A cougar track with paws as big as my hand in the fresh snow on a late season cow elk hunt. My first black bear "territory" claw marks up on an aspen in Colorado bowhunting. A black bear "nest" of pulled over brush after a freak snow storm in East Texas Big thicket, way back in deer lease ( paper company land). An otter in the creek on the same lease. Sitting on a stump before daylight, bowhunting on that lease; at first light, a swamp rabbit hopped over and squatted on its haunches not 2ft from my own feet! Then, four baby rabbits come hopping up and start nursing! It was a trip! she sat there maybe 25 minutes, then hopped off. Many other wonderful things, too many to list!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.