What Is The Lowest Temp You've Hunted?

Nitroman

The lowest temperature I have ever been out hunting was probably -15*F (-26*C), though I've cut wood at -27*F (-33*C), and been riding my snogo at -34*F (-37*C).
So how 'bout you guys? Oh, here is a good shot of today's temps in my neck of the woods:
Huslia_Neg_61_Below.jpg

I'm glad that you have that weather;
The coldest weather that I have hunted in is -40 f.
The coldest weather was back in 1985 - with a wind chill of -99
this was at a altitude of 5000 ft in the rockies on a north facing slope.

Went coyote hunting in February about 5 years ago and it was -25-30 F. Once it gets below -10 anything colder seems hard to tell.

Man alive! -40* and -30*, that 's plenty cold. I just got back in from tuning the carb on my chainsaw so I could go cut some wood. Before I stay out more than 10 minutes at a time, I have to get into my serious gear. Putting it on and taking it off is a hassle for in-and-out stuff though.

Left the jeep at 4:00 am and the temp was -5.......eastern Idaho mid 1980's wind blew all day. Have no idea how cold with the chill. Did not see a decent buck all day. Anymore below zero I'm not going.

-30f with the wind howling, SW Mt.. We were thankful the truck started on the first growl cause thats all the battery we had. Had to let it run 30-40 minutes to get it out of gear. Old truck, had a thermos on the floor freeze with the heaters on. A creek ice dammed just as we came to it, it diverted over the road, we were glad to get out. Shot one old snowshoe hare with my 41 magnum, left ear still rings from that one. Under the heading of God works in strange ways, we came upon a woman with a broke down car, a baby, and 2 kids about dark, miles from anywhere, and gave them a ride to town. I'm not sure that would have turned out good otherwise. As it was with the woman and baby up front, the 2 bigger kids and I got in back, (an old single layer aluminum uninsulated shell), and covered up with all the sleeping bags, blankets, laid out on our duffels. I really believe that was the purpose of the whole trip.
I'll leave it to other folks these days.

I've been out hunting moose at somewhere around -40 but we didn't have a thermometer. I've had my wife and our 2 youngest out hunting caribou in -30 temps back when the girls were still in their teens.

Gus

Minus 30. North West Nebraska just south of Chadron. Muzzle loading Deer Season in the 80's. We were camped out in a tent for a week of that. Newspaper sent out someone to photograph us as everyone thought we were nuts to be out there. Got one of the biggest whitetails I have ever shot. Game Warden would come and check on us to make sure we were still alive. After the first day he brought donuts to go with the coffee we had brewing for him when he got there. :)

20 degrees soaking wet. I fell getting into a raft and went for a swim. I don't know if it gets any colder than that! - hope not

-20s with -50s wind chill for the first 3 days of a North Dakota pheasant hunt in December of 2004. Almost lost the right side of my nose one morning that I didn't have covered properly! At 64 years old that smartened me up and there will be no more -*F days outside for me!!!

When I was a young lad, I pulled up to a trail head,and a couple of older smarter guys were drinking coffee. They said your going out? It was -12 F, I hiked into a high mtn basin,w/340 and shot my first 6x6 that day, 500+.As I hiked up I saw blood on snow, mine, got wrapped on noggin,didnt even notice I was so jacked.My hunting buddy and brother shot 2 bulls that day also, so I spent next 4 days packing.The good ol days:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.