What is the dumbest thing?

Another time I had a guy looking for an elk rifle. He wasn't a big guy. Somehow we traded for a used savage bolt gun in 338rum , no break, wood stock and he was interested in it. He asked if 338rum would work on elk. I said sure it will, but it does have a pretty good kick and showed him the cartridges. I again told him it comes with pretty heavy recoil and asked if he wanted to look at anything a little milder and he said no, he wanted it. So I sold him the gun, box of ammo and mounted a scope on it for him. He was a happy camper when he left the store, I did my job so I was happy, the owner of store was happy because I sold that cannon and got his money back out of the gun. fast forward 2 weeks and he walks in the store, gun case in hand, wearing sun glasses. I figured he had an issue with the gun and was bringing it back. He get closer to the counter and I see a bandage hiding behind the sun glasses. He walk up and starts cussing me for selling him a demon rifle that tried to rip his shoulder and face off! I explain I told him the rifle had a pretty good recoil and I offered to show him some less violent. Turns out he never shot anything bigger than a 22 and had no idea what he bought! He ended up with stitches. We ended up buying the gun, scope and remaining 19 shells left in the box back .

I ran a outdoor store in Arkansas for 3 years. I have some stories for sure. The absolute dumbest thing was archery related. A small Asian man, 5' at the most, walks in when I was busy rigging a couple new bows for customers. He's looking at the used bow rack and I tell him I'll be with him in a few minutes. I had a big sign saying do not draw bows without assistance. I turn my back for a second and when I turn around he has a older bow drawn back, the draw length must have been 30" and he's standing with his arms as far apart as possible. He's straining to hold the bow , his head is between the string and riser. I tried to tell him hold on I'll help him but too late. The riser slips from his hand, sending it toward his head, the cable guard penetrates his cheek, about 2 inches below his eye. He starts yelling and jumping around as I try to get the bow off his head. Blood is flowing from his face as I get him to stop moving so I can free him from this bow. I get the bow out of his face and go to grab something to cover his wound. He runs full speed out the door never to be seen again. I turn around and one of my customers waiting for their bow says, did you f&$king see that! I was still in shock from the whole ordeal. Now years later I think about that and can laugh.
And I thought a string on the forearm hurt lol. Great story

There was a guy that got into our conversation about reloading told us he had a 220 swift that had 10000 rounds through it still shot a one hole group and he killed a pig at 1700 yards with a 45 grain bullet
I just walked away and he followed me and keep saying I ain't lying
I had to leave so now when I see him I go the other way

'76 I shot the ram rod out of my 50 cal muzzle loader. That was pretty stupid!

At one time, I had the habit of holding the rifle steady by placing my hand on the scope. A friend walked over and asked me to put the cross hair on the target, he barely touched the scope, and the point of impact changed three inches at 100 yards.
No more touching the scope while shooting for me, that was 40 years ago.

Last edited:
I had one guy, a regular customer, come in looking for ammo . Wanted something for his 8 year old to hunt deer with out of a 243. He sees a box of shells with lightweight varmint bullets and says I'll take them. I tell him I wouldn't use them on deer, and showed him some more suitable ammo but he's dead set on the light varmint bullets because they won't kick as bad. I sell him the shells and figure it's all on him now. Well he wasn't happy when he came back after the youth hunt, he tells me I shouldn't have let him use that stuff and it cost his son a big buck when he couldn't find it after the shot. I was like I told you!

Had a guy buy a rifle from a buddy and he gave him a target with the rifle 3 shot group at 100 so the next time he came in he showed us the target but now it's his 5 shot group at 100
Come on man!!

I was working on a load for a 6.5 creedmore had a really nice group at 100 so I'm taking it out to distance a guy I know said it will be hard to beat his group, his group 3/4 of an inch at 500 (not moa)
So now I got my work cut out for me

Ran into a guy up hunting and he told me how his son shoots his mulies at 1600+yds with one shot out of one of these super magnums. After a few minutes we figured out it was a 300wsm.
building a 300wsm today, so I like them as much as the next guy, but I know their limitations

Not words, but an action which was as ignorant and senseless as it comes. We're at the 25/50 yard range at our local club and I'm loading some revolver rounds when I here my wife say, "don't point that gun at my husband!" I look 8 ft to my right and I see a lady trying to clear a jam from her semi auto pistol with the barrel leveled at my mid section. Just another rookie with no clue about what guns can do or the singular safety rule of never pointing it where you don't want to.
You should've seen the range officer's color change in his face when he heard what my wife said.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.