what is the best barrel for a .7mm rem mag?

Rhoadsm493

I'm new to building my own rifles and I am going to be building a .7mm rem mag. I've been doing a good amount of research on all the parts, but I can not seem to find enough information on great quality barrels for the .7mm and was hoping I could get a little help with that.

Thank you in advance to any advice

Welcome! what are you wanting , a hunting / target barrel and what action are you gonna use savage, rem ,or something else? shilen , brux, make great drop in barrels

Pick any one of the cutom barrel makers and be happy. Avoid the "drop-in", they're made to fit anything & everything. A "one on one" cutom fit and chambering is prefered,,,,,, gunsmith installation. Hart, Krieer, Benchmark, Brux, Rock Creek, Bartlien are just a few of the makers I've used.

Pick any one of the cutom barrel makers and be happy. Avoid the "drop-in", they're made to fit anything & everything. A "one on one" cutom fit and chambering is prefered,,,,,, gunsmith installation. Hart, Krieer, Benchmark, Brux, Rock Creek, Bartlien are just a few of the makers I've used.

+100

all you need is a non-standard receiver thread like we found on my 7stw and you will have trouble with pre-fit bbl's; the last bbl. install on my rifle was a pre-fit with a standard shank, but my receiver had been trued by another previous owner and had oversized threading.... It created a dangerous situation with loose threading and I had to pay a lot of $$ to have an otherwise perfectly good rifle built over again...

Sorry guy's didn't mean to step on any sore spots, but I didn't know what He was using for an action, and if or what He had or wanted to spend on a tube! I have one drop in and my buddy has 3 all shillen's and I would do it every day if I got the same results as the 4 barrels I mentioned

Sorry guy's didn't mean to step on any sore spots, but I didn't know what He was using for an action, and if or what He had or wanted to spend on a tube! I have one drop in and my buddy has 3 all shillen's and I would do it every day if I got the same results as the 4 barrels I mentioned

I have a Shilen 8" twist on my 7stw currently; good bbl.. Drop in's can be good or bad; you need to know what you are getting into though...

Its sole purpose is going to be for hunting at long distance (at least/around 1000yards), and I am thinking about getting a Remington 700 bdl long action, unless anyone knows of any better action to get. I do not want to cheap out on a single thing.

But I definitely appreciate everyone's input! I will definitely look into all of this and further advice given

Its sole purpose is going to be for hunting at long distance (at least/around 1000yards), and I am thinking about getting a Remington 700 bdl long action, unless anyone knows of any better action to get. I do not want to cheap out on a single thing.

But I definitely appreciate everyone's input! I will definitely look into all of this and further advice given

If I was building custom rifle using a belted mag sized case, I would use a Surgeon 1086 Action. If I was using a RUM sized case, I would use a BAT HR action.

For a long range barrel for the Surgeon action, I would order a custom Palma style contour Krieger or Bartlein. The contour would have a 1 inch neck and an .820" muzzle diameter at 26-28", whatever you preference. I would order it with 8 flutes.

For the BAT action I would order the same barrel except with a 1.300" diameter breech instead of the standard 1.250" one.

I did a very similar build a couple years ago. I had a factory Sendero in 7mm mag that was my absolute favorite go to hunting rig. Constant use over several years started to take a toll on the accuracy of the factory bbl, aside from that it was a copper fouling monster! Seemed like a good enough reason to true the action and rebarrel...

After a lot of research and a ton of reading on this forum, I called and spoke with the guys at Benchmark (who were very helpful). After some discussion it was decided to true the action and rebarrel with a setup very similar to factory so not much change with weight and look of the rifle. I went with a stainless fluted 9" twist Benchmark bbl and heavier recoil lug. Don't remember how long it took but they delivered by the date promised. I have since replaced the stock with a Manners EH1 setup with the Badger mini chassis. The rifle eats everything I feed it from the Barnes 145LRX, Berger 168 and the 162 Amax. All loads are sub MOA but the Amax is consistently well under 1/2. I'm IMPATIENTLY waiting for the 162 ELD-X to become available!

There's a thousand directions you can go with a build, but that's mine and I have been extremely pleased so far...

How about some pictures of that rifle showing how that barrel fits in the EH1 barrel channel.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.