What is the BEST 270 for the 170 Berger?

Savage ROCKS! :):Dgun)

Have you considered .270 STW/improved?

I am very pleased with my .270 AI propelling the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS.

Good luck on your project.

Cheers!

Ed

Yeah I have been looking at the STW but I think it's a tad more capacity than the 270 can use efficiently. Might work great or be a real bear to load for. Seems if you get the 270 over the Weatherby threshold AND add in loading for a single bullet like the Berger and things can get weird. Of course you could throw in some 140s at warp speed but I am a big bullet guy. The 270-300WM thread scared me a little when they started dumping US869 in cases. Those kind of projects often seem to have a ton of promise and then flounder.

Yeah I have been looking at the STW but I think it's a tad more capacity than the 270 can use efficiently. Might work great or be a real bear to load for. Seems if you get the 270 over the Weatherby threshold AND add in loading for a single bullet like the Berger and things can get weird. Of course you could throw in some 140s at warp speed but I am a big bullet guy. The 270-300WM thread scared me a little when they started dumping US869 in cases. Those kind of projects often seem to have a ton of promise and then flounder.

I hear you, that's why I stayed with .270 AI instead. Having said that, I have a Savage 111F LA action (currently .300 WM) that I might re-barrel next year and I too originally considered the .270-300 WM due the thread that BJD started, but will see what happens when the time comes. :cool:

Don't be afraid to try the 270 RUM. Mine was very easy to tune for bullets up to 150gr. It had a 1-10" twist so I never played with the heavy matrix bullets (the Berger wasn't out yet). I still have the reamer and a pile of 7mm RUM brass sitting around waiting for a 1-8" twist barrel to try it again when I get time.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.