What is the BEST 270 for the 170 Berger?

.277x68 Schuler Imp using RWS brass? I have a 6.5mm and have though about making a bigger caliber. It's basically a beltless 300wm using RWS brass so you can lean on it pretty hard. Brass is not always available but 100 rounds would wear out a barrel pretty easily.

Not sure I am worthy or should be allowed near RWS brass lol. Always a dream to run RWS brass and I have twiddled with the idea for ages. Will check it out.

.277x68 Schuler Imp using RWS brass? I have a 6.5mm and have though about making a bigger caliber. It's basically a beltless 300wm using RWS brass so you can lean on it pretty hard. Brass is not always available but 100 rounds would wear out a barrel pretty easily.
Is that the 30 Blaser parent case or 8x68? Also I saw that RWS makes 300WM brass. That would be ugly for the 270-300WM.

A 270 Weatherby is a good and simple choice. A 270-7mm Blaser is different.

Defensive Edge just built me a 7mm Blaser Mag and have been seriously kicking around the idea of doing a fast twist 270-7mm Blaser to shoot these 170 Bergers. Nothing against Berger but the biggest concern we have is what if that one bullet doesn't work out, it doesn't leave you with a lot of options. But, the more I read about the 170 Bergers, the more interested I am in taking a chance on having one built because it sounds like they're a killing machine and they are shooting very well.

The 7mm Blaser case works very well in a Rem 700 LA and even with the longest 7mm bullets there is plenty of length to seat them out about as far as you want and, IMO, one of the best things about it, it's NOT a belted case.

I think the two I'd look at would be the 7 Blaser and the 28 Nosler. I'm not a huge fan of the Weatherby's throat for getting and keeping guns shooting ELR. I've ran a number of 270 WSM's with them and retumbo will run you 3000 fps on a 26 inch barrel in the green zone, R26 or R33 may let you open ot up a bit.

I chose a 270-300WM for brass availability(I have a bunch), die availability, and chambering availability.

You can buy 27 Nosler dies. Brass could be necked up or down and will likely be available as 27 Nosler soon.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/26-nosler-wildcats-27-nosler-145337/

Otherwise, you are probably looking at renting or buying a reamer to get a rifle chambered and custom dies.

I chose a 270-300WM for brass availability(I have a bunch), die availability, and chambering availability.

You can buy 27 Nosler dies. Brass could be necked up or down and will likely be available as 27 Nosler soon.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/26-nosler-wildcats-27-nosler-145337/

Otherwise, you are probably looking at renting or buying a reamer to get a rifle chambered and custom dies.

Thanks for that link, I had been looking for that one as I read it before but couldn't find it.

It's a 6.5x68 Schuler Imp. I shoot RWS 300wm brass in my 6.5-300wm's and my 7-300wm's. You give up some velocity but you can't hardly kill it. I just wanted something without a belt. If you read up on the 30 Boo Boo that Dave Tooley did on the 6.5x68 and 8x68 cases many people got 40 plus reloads on the brass.

One of these days I'll finish my 7-338 Norma Imp using Lapua made 423 Dakota brass. That would be like a short 7RUM.

I built a Savage rifle with an 8 twist 28 inch Pac Nor Super Match Barrel chambered in 270 Weatherby. It shoots really great. I have been using Hornady brass and have found it to be very consistent. I have loaded a set of Hornady brass 5 times now and it is showing very little wear. It is reasonably priced also. I have been shooting 165 Matrix bullets with good accuracy. I have some 170 Bergers but have not tried them yet. The 270-300WM thread was very inspirational.

This is a great option, brass and dies are readily available, no fireforming is required, and you can shoot factory loads in a pinch although they are expensive.

20161019_183752_1.jpg

300 yards

20160925_170520_edit_1479437694402.jpg

I built a Savage rifle with an 8 twist 28 inch Pac Nor Super Match Barrel chambered in 270 Weatherby. It shoots really great. I have been using Hornady brass and have found it to be very consistent. I have loaded a set of Hornady brass 5 times now and it is showing very little wear. It is reasonably priced also. I have been shooting 165 Matrix bullets with good accuracy. I have some 170 Bergers but have not tried them yet. The 270-300WM thread was very inspirational.

This is a great option, brass and dies are readily available, no fireforming is required, and you can shoot factory loads in a pinch although they are expensive.

20161019_183752_1.jpg

300 yards

20160925_170520_edit_1479437694402.jpg

Holy cow...that is a 300 yard group? What were you shooting? What bullet?...:)

So your thought...Savage is that great?

I am a barrel nut guy yeah. I like to do my own thing and rely on crazy people with lathes and no time management skills as little as possible.
I have built a slug of Savages and never had one I couldn't get under .5MOA with a sane amount of work.
I also like to be the black sheep which Savage usually fulfills nicely.
Truthfully I am probably going to switch to a Remage style build now that enough builders are chambering them now. That way I can use a custom action, 700 based triggers and 700 stocks.
I'm just a DIY guy on about everything I get into. I can buy a $5k custom or build a $1k Savage that I am proud of putting together myself. Jest me though.

I am a barrel nut guy yeah. I like to do my own thing and rely on crazy people with lathes and no time management skills as little as possible.
I have built a slug of Savages and never had one I couldn't get under .5MOA with a sane amount of work.
I also like to be the black sheep which Savage usually fulfills nicely.
Truthfully I am probably going to switch to a Remage style build now that enough builders are chambering them now. That way I can use a custom action, 700 based triggers and 700 stocks.
I'm just a DIY guy on about everything I get into. I can buy a $5k custom or build a $1k Savage that I am proud of putting together myself. Jest me though.

Savage ROCKS! :):Dgun)

Have you considered .270 STW/improved?

I am very pleased with my .270 AI propelling the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS.

Good luck on your project.

Cheers!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts