What is the best .33 caliber precision long range hunting round??? Remington 700 L/A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What is the best .33 caliber precision long range hunting round??? Remington 700

So me being a senior/scientist engineer and the clientelle for my little hobby shop were mostly the same where many people in the area can say "by the way I am a rocket scientist" we are very logical. Like the popular saying from the old dragnet show of the 60"s "just the facts mam". .

Wow, Don I didn't realize I was debating this with a real "Rocket Scientist" I think it is spelled "Clientele" But hell, who cares I misspell everything.

I don't doubt your work from 70's ,80's or 90's but isn't it possible that with the changes we have seen in powders this could be why I see different results now 12 or 15 years later? Like you always say, you only post what you see and that is exactly what I am doing. Owning several chronographs over the years and now owning 3 I can say I do trust my Oehler 35 I now have. It is the only one I have ever owned that will put my drops on, with out tweeking the velocity to fine tune.

So is this the "hobby Shop" you built and developed all these rifles from? Where was it located exactly" Did you have a company name? I am surprised I never read about your work, or maybe I did and don't remember.

Jeff

Re: What is the best .33 caliber precision long range hunting round??? Remington 700

I can get 28-2830 out of a 26" barrelled Edge with very little if any "stamping"

I can get 29-2950 out of a 30" Edge using the same combination, nothing special.

These speeds weren't possible even a few years ago, I only stumbled onto it last year lightbulb

I will be building a 28" Edge for a client shortly so I will see how fast that one goes.

I use a 35P for my speeds & call it as I see it, some people call BS but possibly because they haven't "thought outside the square"

I'm personally more interested in the 375s currently & they are showing tremendous promise

These speeds weren't possible even a few years ago, I only stumbled onto it last year lightbulb
I use a 35P for my speeds & call it as I see it, some people call BS but possibly because they haven't "thought outside the square"

SHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't tell everything you know Greg.:D

Jeff

Why would the powders/techniques used to get the extra velocity now out of the 338-300 RUM not do the same for the 338 RUM? All the side by side tests I did in 2001 had both between 2750-2850 fps depending on the accuracy load in that particular rifle. Wouldn't the same powders/techniques you are getting the extra velocity now with the 338-300 RUM also work with the 338 RUM the same? Please post some side by side numbers with the same techniques.

This summer I tested a 28" 338-300 RUM and a 26" 338 RUM both with the 225 grain cutting edge bullet. The 338 RUM was faster by 50 fps which is typical for the two cartridges. Just depends on the barrel as to which one is fastest. I primarily use Retumbo and H-1000 unless you guys know of something else that is getting you all the extra velocity in the 338-300 RUM. I would like to know the secret so I could run my 338-378 wby up to 3700 fps or so with the 225 cutting edge at .64 bc. That would be wicked with the new ways you guys have of getting all the extra velocity.

Greg, I don't doubt you are getting that velocity but what are your loads.

Please post some side by side numbers with the same techniques.

No problem, in fact I did it in an earlier post. So where was your shop you did all the development located? Were you doing this private or were you working for a company? Was it for NASA?

I have read where you are very fond of many of the AI chamberings. That gets you about the same added case volume as the EDGE does over the 338 RUM. Would you like it better if we called it a 338 AI?
Jeff

I didn't see that and I am sure others didn't as well and would like to see your side by side tests and the loads you used to get so much more velocity in the 338-300 RUM than the 338 RUM. Most of my testing was with H-1000 and Retumbo and both cartridges shot 2750-2850 fps with top accuracy loads. For every 338 RUM that shot 2850 fps there was a 338-300 RUM that shot 2850 fps. Same at 2750 fps and everything in between. They both shoot in the same range and either will do anything the other will and both are equally accurate. Any hunter can make any hunting shot with one he could make with the other.

What are your loads that allow the 338-300 RUM to shoot so much faster than the 338 RUM? Wouldn't that same trick allow the 338 RUM to shoot that much faster also.

In big 338's it takes a lot of powder for a little gain. Certainly not enough difference here to make a difference.

Broz, LTLR,

might it be that you are talking about different things?
.338 RUM vs .338-300 RUM AI respectively .338 RUM vs .338-300 RUM plain.
Doesn't the Edge have less taper than the .338 RUM besides being longer?
Thus having more volume (10gr water capacity?) it should produce a tad more velocity.

Allthough it seems to be in the same ballpark anyway.
To get noticably better ballistics a different sort of cases (different cartridge) shoot be used.

There are many variations of the lapua improved and I worked on and tested several back when the lapua case was introduced. The versions with minimal body taper, 35-40 degree shoulder, with the shoulder pushed forward were the best in our testing. I think that is what Kirby does with the AX but have never shot one. I know the versions we did like that gave very good results. When combined with Lapua brass it is an excellent cartridge that will outperform the RUM case and a better long range choice. It is not a good choice though on the remington 700 action although some do it. A custom action is best for that cartridge.

Anytime you improve, ie. blow the shoulder out or straighten the case, you have an "improved" version of that parent case.

Kirby's 338AX is one of MANY different "improved" case designs based off the standard 338 Lapua case.

As for the 338 Edge being an "improved" design or requiring it be fire formed is something I've never heard before. To my knowledge a 338 Edge is simply a 300 RUM necked up to 338. The 338 EDGE simply takes advantage of the, slightly, larger case volume of the 300 RUM which yields its FPS gain, especially with heavier bullets, over the standard 338 RUM. Now I'm not a self proclaimed scientist nor am I a legend in my own mind but to the best of my knowledge those are the facts and only the facts. :rolleyes:

B23, you are right, run a tapered 338 expander ball through a 300 Ultra case, presto the 338 Edge is born. That's it no fire forming.

Then I most probably confused something, sorry.

The 338 EDGE simply takes advantage of the, slightly, larger case volume of the 300 RUM which yields its FPS gain, especially with heavier bullets, over the standard 338 RUM. Now I'm not a self proclaimed scientist nor am I a legend in my own mind but to the best of my knowledge those are the facts and only the facts. :rolleyes:

Thank You!! :cool:

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts