What is the best caliber for long range hunting?

K

kpehrson

I am fairly new to long range hunting (1000+ yards) for big game. I am now looking at getting a custom long range rifle built but wanted some feed back and ballistic information on what caliber would be the best. I really am hoping to understand what caliber and why.

Some have suggested the 338 lapua while some say you need a chariot to hunt with it.

Others suggest the 6.5x284...

While no data has been given to back up the suggestions I have received..

Thanks for all of the help!

Welcome to LRH.
I am fairly new to long range hunting (1000+ yards)
If long range hunting is 1000+ yards I'm somewhat at a loss on how to reply.

I really am hoping to understand what caliber and why.
There are a few books to include Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting detailing the aspects of precision and accuracy required for what I think you are asking.

Wind uncertainty and the ability to reduce the effects will most likely be the "Achilles Heal" when making 1000+ yard hunting shots. Selecting a bullet with a high BC combined with a high velocity will help reduce the human errors associated with wind uncertainty miscalculation.

The book suggested should answer what I think you are asking. Im not certain there is a single cartridge to meet all needs although some are better suited than others.

Welcome to LRH.

If long range hunting is 1000+ yards I'm somewhat at a loss on how to reply.

There are a few books to include Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting detailing the aspects of precision and accuracy required for what I think you are asking.

Wind uncertainty and the ability to reduce the effects will most likely be the "Achilles Heal" when making 1000+ yard hunting shots. Selecting a bullet with a high BC combined with a high velocity will help reduce the human errors associated with wind uncertainty miscalculation.

The book suggested should answer what I think you are asking. Im not certain there is a single cartridge to meet all needs although some are better suited than others.
I agree, its hard to determine what is the best cartridge for long range hunting at 1000+yrds with emphasis on the word "hunting" not target. Its hard to say what is best

I don't want to start a dispute but for your question if you want a all around long range rifle that is cheap to shoot (ammo,barrel life etc.) go with a 300.win mag or if you think that's not enough go with a 30/378 wby.but cost will also increase either of them is a good place to start. Glad to see your getting into long range...

what are you going after as far as game ? What is your budget ?

As far as big game its is all around hunting.

Elk, Deer, moose, caribou, sheep, bear. All of the above.

1000 yards is not a necessity and wont be used every shot I make. Although I want the option if it is needed.

Budget is negotiable.

I shot a big horn sheep this year at 1325 yards. Gun was provided by my guide and was a 6.5x284. I wouldn't have ever dreamed of getting the sheep I did before. Mostly because the thought of that shot never crossed my mind. That shot made the time frame and reality of my dream come true. Now I'm just looking into getting my own outfit.

Thanks for your help. the guidance on references and videos are greatly appreciated!

I shot a big horn sheep this year at 1325 yards.

That's pretty darn good for ...

I am fairly new to long range hunting (1000+ yards) for big game.
lightbulbgun)

esp. when most ...

finish-02-look-down.gif

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/new-long-range-130336/

Congratulations on your sheep hunt! It truly is amazing to experiencing the type of hunting you have described.

Did you have a chance to discuss behind the gun details with your guide? The thought process and calculations he/she went through? As you are aware, ELR and even with tough conditions LR hunting is a huge pie. Cartridge and bullet selection is only one piece of this pie and many times the least important. Having the knowledge to piece this pie together is the path to success time and time again. Being able to predict first round hit probability based on your hunting conditions is paramount with consistent success.

High BC 338's and 30's are a common selection for many ELR hunters with elk in their inventory. Personally, I will have a 6.5x284, 300 RUM, 338 Lapua, and 338 AM for options this next season. My preference for LR to ELR elk hunting is a 338. Just my preference and others will have their "favorites".

Again, knowing how a bullet is affected by the environment is just as important as rifle/bullet selection and precision. Without both long range to include ELR hunting can be difficult to achieve with consistency.

Good luck and it appears you have caught "the bug".

You could get one of the wild cats because they sound pretty cool. However, I can almost guarantee that a 7mm remington magnum or a 300 win mag is all you need. I think these rounds are popular because the have a bit of everything. Good ballistic, power, commercial availability, not very expensive rounds, brass availability, etc.

what barrel make was on your sheep rifle? how much did it weigh? what action ? what scope?

what barrel make was on your sheep rifle? how much did it weigh? what action ? what scope?

It was a BARTLIEN BARREL I believe. I would guess the gun weighed around 10 lbs. and it was a Remington 700 action. Luepold vari x 6 scope

I understand that there are many different inputs that go into making the ELR hunting possible. Although the best way I have found to learn is to implement what I read and learn. I plan to spend several (hundred) hours at the range shooting and learning the other variables that go into shooting at these distances. I do not plan on getting a gun made, walking up the mountain and throwing hell marys just because I can. I agree with the article that FEENIX posted, just because your equipment is capable doesn't mean you are. Although I don't believe anyone was "born" capable to shoot at these distances. Along with most things in life it takes work and dedication to be able to achieve what you desire. I am simply working to achieve my desire.

Any other suggested resources would be greatly appreciated!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts