What is the best .33 caliber precision long range hunting round??? Remington 700 L/A

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacsniper0888

Hey guys as I stated in another post I'm in the process of rebarrelling my Remington 700 Sendero currently chambered in .338 win mag. I'm hearing some suggestions to rechamber for .338 ultra mag. I've seen something about .338 EDGE. What is the best .338 caliber chambering for precision long range huntin on whitetail mule deer and elk at distances out to 1,500 yards? I may also go .30 caliber to use a Lilja 3 groove barrel. What would be the best .30 caliber round for the same application? Thanks guys.

Re: What is the best .33 caliber precision long range hunting round??? Remington 700

338 Edge, 338 Allen Xpress based on the 338 Lapua. There's others also. Kinda depend on what you can get a reamer for.

Re: What is the best .33 caliber precision long range hunting round??? Remington 700

What is a .338 edge and what is the advantage it has over the .338 RUM? As components and dies are readily available for the .338 RUM?

Best will depend on what you want, and how much you want to spend. A standard Remington action will handle the ultra mags (300 rum, 338 rum, and 338 edge, which is 300 ultra necked up to 338) with normal bolt face. You can jump up to lapua bolt face to run the 338 Lapua or improved versions, including the AX. If you go up to Lapua class, you may need to go to after market bolt. I have a 338 Lapua AI built on 700 with Tubb bolt, and it is great.

By sticking with ultra mags, you might get away with using standard BLD or ADL magazine, but will likely need at least to extend magazine with Wyatt's modification to use long range bullets. Going to Lapua, you will almost certainly have to go with single stack box mag. I personally prefer the 3.9" Seekins for my Lapua and Ultra mag builds.

Brass is another issue. Ultra mags have low cost options, and brass is factory. Improved or wildcat cases require more work. Good Lapua brass is really pricey. Its even worse to buy it then fire form before you even start your loading.

If you truly want to shoot 1500 yards, you will be pushing the envelope with any gun you mentioned. They can hit accurately, but may not have velocity to open bullet. Most bullets are expected to open at 1800 fps and above. Some testing indicates you can go down to as little as 1400, but not many bullet manufacturers will agree with that (for example, Rocky Mountain bullets were tested that low with good results, but they are $2 each).

If your rifle is capable of that, it will only be that accurate if you put the right optics on it. Two pounds is normal weight of NF scope, and many of the other long range scopes are heavier.

If you want to carry the rifle, keeping in mind the added two pounds of scope, pound of bipod, etc., you may have to keep rifle lighter. Every ounce you take off of the rifle will make it that much harder to control for proper accuracy and the ability to pick up the animal after the shot.

All of that can be done. But it is a rare combo, almost the holy grail. Personally, keeping the weight of the rifle in mind, I prefer the 300 ultra mag as the best round for what you suggest, now that there are the 230 grain Bergers available. They carry extremely well to extended ranges, and can be pushed at just over 3000 fps safely. But, even at that, my rounds go below 1800 fps at around 1200-1300 fps, depending on conditions (temperature/barometric pressure/humidity).

The 338's are similarly limited, but give you a little bit of leeway on wind calculation due to higher BC of the best bullets.

Whatever you choose, keep in mind none of these rifles are magic. At 1500 yards, reading wind is extremely hard, and even a slight error in your range is a miss. For example, at the conditions last input on my Shooter ap, my fastest 300 ultra 230 grain load still drops about 27" from 1475 yard to 1500 yards. Same with my fasted 300 grain Berger load out of my 338 Lapua AI.

.338 EDGE! All the people that swear by them can not be wrong. Do some research and watch the videos. Also go to www.defensiveedge.net/ and watch the videos. Shawn took the 338 Edge and made it what it is today. May as well get all you can from your 700 action as far as accuracy and velocity with 300 gr bullets and that is the EDGE.

Jeff

The 338 RUM will do anything the 338-300 RUM will do in a much better package.

the RUM has less case capacity and less velocity than the EDGE.:D I think that is why it is called " THE EDGE"

the RUM has less case capacity and less velocity than the EDGE.:D

The 338 RUM will do anything the 338-300 RUM will do in a much better package.
The 338 Norma has a 5% reduction in case capacity compared to the 338 Lapua but velocities are VERY close. And it is in a shorter package. So kinda like 338 RUM and 338 Norma vs 338 Lapua and 338 EDGE.

Riley, I think you got your comparisons bass ackwards and jeff, it's a 338-300RUM not a 338edge for hell sakes.:rolleyes:

jeff, it's a 338-300RUM not a 338edge for hell sakes.:rolleyes:

Is it 338-300 RUM or 300-338 RUM??? I know it is more confusing to call it " The EDGE" but since it has a real measurable "EDGE" that is easier for us to remember. :D

Riley, I think you got your comparisons bass ackwards and jeff, it's a 338-300RUM not a 338edge for hell sakes.:rolleyes:
the 338 Norma has very similar performance to the 338 Rum and the 338 EDGE and Lapua are basically ballistic twins.

Gotcha. I thought you might have been thinking 338rum vs. 338edge and norma vs lapua because of same case designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.