What is the best caliber for long range hunting?

I went and chose a 7mm rem as I wanted to limit recoil and shoot the most ballistically efficient 180 grain bullet. Don't think I'll be shooting 1000+ though.

Do you know what bullet your guide was using? Approximate Muzzle Velocity and elevation? I'm curious about what the energy and velocity of that bullet was on target.

I went and chose a 7mm rem as I wanted to limit recoil and shoot the most ballistically efficient 180 grain bullet. Don't think I'll be shooting 1000+ though.

7mm Rem Mag would be my choice. Tolerable recoil and fantastic ballistics out of a case that is easy to load for.

I am fairly new to long range hunting (1000+ yards) for big game. I am now looking at getting a custom long range rifle built but wanted some feed back and ballistic information on what caliber would be the best. I really am hoping to understand what caliber and why.

Some have suggested the 338 lapua while some say you need a chariot to hunt with it.

Others suggest the 6.5x284...

While no data has been given to back up the suggestions I have received..

Thanks for all of the help!
I joined this site about three years ago for the sole purpose of researching cartridges for long range hunting. I could spend the next few hours writing about what I've learned. Since I don't want to do that, I'll give you the bottom line.

If you want a serious long range rifle, build a 338 Lapua or larger. Anything smaller and you are just pretending.

Do you know what bullet your guide was using? Approximate Muzzle Velocity and elevation? I'm curious about what the energy and velocity of that bullet was on target.

All I know is it was a berger bullet. Elevation was around 4000 feet. I'm sorry I don't know all that information and can't provide all the information.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.