What gun would you want if the SHTF?

If this means that I have to stash everything else here and there and can only hold one, I will make it my match chambered .22 Contender either 14" or 21"on the shoulder stock with Leupold. I will become very small in George Land and… hold on there? The SHTF so there ain't no stinkin rules in George Land! I gun)to keep what's dear to me so be very nice, ~ friend ~?...

My M21 I built and the Savage 112 in .308, pistol .45. Reasons being that they are plentiful calibers. Not to mention the Second line gear.

As far as Democrat or Republicans it doesn;t matter. What matters is what the Man or Women does while in Office. All else is BS. But as you say this is for another forum.

The US Military may or may not be what you want to join in a SHTF event it all depends. Survival of the Family is number one. Survival during an event will also mean more than weapons to include food, medicines and skills.

Different survival situations will also require different responses. Asteroid Strike, EPM/Solar Flare, Major Earth Upheaval, Civil War/Tyrannical Government, Pandemic, Nuclear War, Societal breakdown complete as well as degrees of it will require different responses. Fortune Favors the Brave and the prepared.

As for protecting your property a few years ago two ranchers did just that. They caught a couple of groups on there joint land and held them for the Border Patrol. They were hauled into court for capturing the illegals. Don't remember the outcome but a Google search should turn up some results.

I realize this is an old thread, but I came across it doing an unrelated search.

Anyway, has anyone considered that they may be the aggressor? I live in a typical suburban neighborhood, and I'm sure that once my food reserves ran out, I'm not going to starve. I don't have enough land to hunt or live off of, and a starving man can be as dangerous as a dope fiend.

I agree with some earlier posts that stated the bigger threat is likely to be looter's, not an invasion of any military or police. I'm easily more prepared than your average looter.

Something to think about... I heard a quote once,it went something like this, " Plans rarely work, but planning is invaluable".

Was having a BS session today tearing down our elk camp about what gun we would want if the s*#% hit the fan. We figured a gun that could shoot to 800 yards reliably would be the ticket and it would have to have a decent magazine system.

I was thinking I'd go buy a Remington 700 Police in 308 and have a detachable mag system installed with a few 10 rd mags then stick a 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 on it...mostly because that would about drain my savings right now. :D

How about everyone else?

I hope this hasn't been posted before.
My AR's with an extra upper for .325wsm, My 7mm STW, my 300 Rum and 2,000rds of each caliber/gauge I own.

I realize this is an old thread, but I came across it doing an unrelated search.

Anyway, has anyone considered that they may be the aggressor? I live in a typical suburban neighborhood, and I'm sure that once my food reserves ran out, I'm not going to starve. I don't have enough land to hunt or live off of, and a starving man can be as dangerous as a dope fiend.

I agree with some earlier posts that stated the bigger threat is likely to be looter's, not an invasion of any military or police. I'm easily more prepared than your average looter.

Something to think about... I heard a quote once,it went something like this, " Plans rarely work, but planning is invaluable".
If you are seriously planning for the "worst" the first step in your plan should be getting the hell out of any/all urban areas.

If you are seriously planning for the "worst" the first step in your plan should be getting the hell out of any/all urban areas.

What if you can't, any number of variables could prevent travel. All I'm saying is that people should at least consider that they may have to get ugly to get fed, as well as stopping an ugly from feeding.

why not spend some of your gun money and buy some extra food

Absolutely, depending on the circumstances I could see the need to aggressively establish a pre-emptive perimeter in this neighborhood. Waiting for the zombies to appear at the door seems a poor strategy.

Having been in combat with only 1 rifle and no sidearm, we carried 200 rounds. More than that is not really practical to carry unless you are mechanised or on horseback. Holing up in any building is not going to work unless the enemy is starving city rabble. In an invasion situation one is going to want to be in the woods or mountains by day and only descending to engage or pilfer at night. If one loses air superiority, it puts an interesting twist on things. I have hidden from Migs on more than 1 occasion.

First off, I hope this scenario never takes place. If there was an invasion, or some major issue the plan should be to avoid engaging the enemy(s). The movie Red Dawn was cool, but not an how to manual.:)

That said, I would want a AR type carbine for protection. If there was an attack on a dwelling that you occupied, there would be no arm that would stop a real military assault. I think the best bet would be to keep as low profile as possible. The people that would survive will be people that hid and scavenged the best.

It would be back to WY. for me by whatever means. A 300 WM and 22 rifle I could live comfortably for a loooong time. I know the country, the game and places that would be very difficult for folks to catch up with you. Winters are a bit touch but also easier to get game and watch the back trail.

guns.jpg