What grain ammo should i use?

mbohnett

Hey, I have a Savage Model 10 Predator in 22-250 caliber and it has a 1 in 12 barrel twist. I am looking to go on a prairie dog hunt this summer and would like to know what ammo I should buy. Is there a big difference between cheap ammo and expensive ammo in terms of long range accuracy? Should I shoot a certain grain bullet that would compliment the rate of twist of my barrel?

The cheap white box Winchester ammo from Wal Mart seems to shoot really well in most 22-250's and does a number on squirrels so I imagine it would do the same to sod poodles. I personally like 55 grain Ballistic Tips or V-Max bullets for prairie dogs but I'm too cheap to pay for them in factory shells. If you can find someone with a reloading setup have them help you load up a bunch of V-Max's or Ballistic Tips and you won't regret it.

Have had good luck with Vmax both 55 and 60 gr.......
The 52 gr Amax does a good job as well.....
The ballistic has a heavy base and keeps on going after you shoot something like a woodchuck
or sage rats.........
50 - 60 gr bullets ...........

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts