What rifle should I buy?

outdooraddict

I am going to purchase a new rifle shortly, I will use it next fall to elk hunt in Idaho. I will most likely not et back out there for 5-10 years so I am looking for something to make a long shot with 6 to 800 yards if I have to. I will be shooting a minimum of once a week through the summer so I will be comfortable but what should I get I really like the weatherby vangaurd sub moa in .300 wby mag. but I have also looked at .338 win mag. .338 lupa in the armalite I just dont know what to get I guess Im asking what is the best long range gun for under $1500 thanks for your input

Get a savage, if it doesn't shoot(for some crazy reason) you can rebarrel it yourself for a couple hundred dollars and might still have less in it then the competitors. I agree with the ultra mag though.

I'll throw in another vote for the 300 Ultra in a Sendero. These are great guns and the caliber would be great for elk and deer at long range.

How much extra am I looking at to make the sendaro a good accurate gun or are they pretty good out of the box. What is the recoil like on these should I get a brake put on and how much do they usualy run thanks again.

What Rifle

screech lives there. i would give a lot of weight to his reply. i have several senderos. my friends/brothers and i have more than 20 . they all shoot lees than an inch. get a brake installed. adjust the trigger. put a leupold scope on it. out of the 300 rum/win shoot 180 triple shocks; or 180 or 200 accubonds. roninflag

i have a rem 700p in 300 rum i believe the sendero is pretty much the same rifle with the barrel fluted the recoil with mine is not bad at all i've shot over 50 rounds a session off the bench with no problems and i'm not a big guy average size 185# my lighter 300wm kicks more

Personally I would get it braked, it just makes it easier to shoot. off the top of my head I am wanting to say that it can be done for less than 200 but that is just a guess. If it was me, get a 300rum in a sendero, have the trigger tuned, have it bedded, and put a good brake and you should be race ready. Me and my dad shoot alot of the senderos and they all shoot good. I have also dealt with the savages and they shoot well to but I am more or of a remington type guy than a savage guy.

Is it necesasary to do the work to your sendero to get it to shoot good. It shouldnt be but you will be alot happier with it. Oh, I would go with a holland style brake but the vias type brakes work well to.

I am building two 300rums right now and will tell you how they shoot later. One for my dad and another for my dads partner because his wife wont let him have his old 300rum in an older sendero back and he has to get a new one. By the way, two years ago she took and elk out with it at close to 600yrds with a neck shot. It wasnt luck either, "Honey, im going to shoot it in the neck." "You sure?" "Yeah." neck shot at 575 or around there. His has a trigger job and a brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.