What extinct or endangered animal would you like to hunt and what rifke wouod you use ?

Two friebds in Alaska got to hunt walrus before they were protected in Alaska .They said it was not what they though6 it would be .They used 3030s and a walrus is huge about 12 foot and a couple of tons .They said the Eskimos shelicopterhot about 30 and got only two .He said a 416 rem mag would have been awesome for them.
THERE WAS ANOTHER friend in Alaska who had hunted polar bears from planes in theb1960s .He said that was not much of a hunt .You spotted them landed and shot .Another friend who was a helicopter repairman not long ago went out many times and up to 20 polar bears had come to see what was going on.He said there were alot of polar bears and it was crazy they didn't let you hunt them .
Another friebd had hunted tigers in the 60s and alot more things we can't hunt now .He had taken just about anything you could name and more .they are all gone now but had awesome stories .
I am pretty sure there are mammoths some where not probably won't be shown for 20 years. THAT Saint Catherine's island here had some of the most awesome antelope that I had never seen in books Even that were almost extinct .They would send half the populations there to breed .My neighbor and friebd Ethel Leady was only one of three women to have taken all 26 species of large gane in north America. I can't remember If that included jaguar it was 26 species .

Two friebds in Alaska got to hunt walrus before they were protected in Alaska .They said it was not what they though6 it would be .They used 3030s and a walrus is huge about 12 foot and a couple of tons .They said the Eskimos shelicopterhot about 30 and got only two .He said a 416 rem mag would have been awesome for them.
THERE WAS ANOTHER friend in Alaska who had hunted polar bears from planes in theb1960s .He said that was not much of a hunt .You spotted them landed and shot .Another friend who was a helicopter repairman not long ago went out many times and up to 20 polar bears had come to see what was going on.He said there were alot of polar bears and it was crazy they didn't let you hunt them .
Another friebd had hunted tigers in the 60s and alot more things we can't hunt now .He had taken just about anything you could name and more .they are all gone now but had awesome stories .
I am pretty sure there are mammoths some where not probably won't be shown for 20 years. THAT Saint Catherine's island here had some of the most awesome antelope that I had never seen in books Even that were almost extinct .They would send half the populations there to breed .My neighbor and friebd Ethel Leady was only one of three women to have taken all 26 species of large gane in north America. I can't remember If that included jaguar it was 26 species .
I've hunted both walrus and polar bears
The walrus hunt is actually pretty fun! There's virtually no stress, which is nice, because you're going to get one. The fun part is they trying to figure out which one to shoot out of the hundreds or thousands that you're going to see. The cool thing is getting to experience the north.
Polar bears are next level. They have absolutely no fear of man. If you go and take a **** they tell you to bring your rifle, so you don't become lunch.

I think Deer, perhaps the Megaloceros taken with my 1942 Win 94 .30 WCF
Cheers ;)

M94 30 WCF year 1942 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
I have pondered this, not extinct, but I would choose the Cape Buffalo at the turn of the century. I would use some form of a Rigby side by side, 450 NE pushing out some form of jacketed 470-500gr using black powder.

They were probably not used to man and probably a little ruffer around the edges, a little snottier and probably with the same ill temper they have today. I think that would be the ultimate in adrenaline rush.

I've hunted both walrus and polar bears
The walrus hunt is actually pretty fun! There's virtually no stress, which is nice, because you're going to get one. The fun part is they trying to figure out which one to shoot out of the hundreds or thousands that you're going to see. The cool thing is getting to experience the north.
Polar bears are next level. They have absolutely no fear of man. If you go and take a **** they tell you to bring your rifle, so you don't become lunch.
I do not want any part of Polar Bears, those things are straight up man eaters, I don't feel like ending up being a bear turd 💩😂

It's weird how the muskox survived hhe same time but they didn't. I want to hunt muskox too .
Five years ago when my wife and I were up in Alaska, just driving the state for a few months, we came across a Muskox bull, the light hitting it just right, one of the prettiest animals I'd ever seen. So now five years later, we are heading back in May for another two-month walk-a-about... well, actually driving, we're getting a little long in the tooth... LPC travel... Oh, "Leather Personnel Carrier". Cheers

Being a meat hunter I'd go for whatever critter was/is the tastiest. And not even knowing what a "rifke" is I would use anything between my .223 Remington and the .50 BMG that I used at work before I retired.

If it were a winged critter I'd use one of my own scatter guns: .410 bore thru 28, 20,16, 12 or 10 gauge depending on the beast's size; or, if really BIG, I'd want one of the MPIM (Multi Purpose Infantry Munitions) RPG rounds using a directed fragment charge; or, for really thick skinned species, a chemical energy armor penetrator .... all of which were also part of our arsenal at work.

Recent Posts