What else can I do to get this brass to chamber ?

Marine sniper

I have a 300 WBY I built on a Mark V action, Pac-Nor 5/5 .925 25.5 in. Rifles shoot very well. My Dad has 2, 300 WBY factory rifles that he has shot through out the years. He does not do much reloading so he gave me around 250 pieces of brass he had collected over the last 30 years. I FL sized, neck turned, trimmed, etc and have been using them.

I have noticed some of the brass has swelled enough that I can not get it to chamber in my rifle without some, to a lot of pressure to close the bolt. I honestly do not know if the brass has expanded as I used it, or if it came that way. None the less when I identify a piece of brass that will not chamber easily I have tried every thing to get it to fit. FL sized, neck sized, body sized with the most aggressive shoulder set back shell holder that comes with the body dies kit. I have measured the area right in front of the belt and that is not the problem. Brass with a measurement of .519 will sometimes chamber easily and on another piece of brass will not ?

Could my problem be that some of this brass was originally fired in a factory chamber ? I would think that FL sizing would bring the brass back to below factory specs anyway ??

The only thing I can think of is the should needs set back even further ?

John

Have you checked for length of brass. It may have grown a little and needs trimming. Ypu may also need to anneal the neck and shoulder carefully to make sure brass is actually setting shoulder back. It may have case hardened and is springing back after FL sizing?

Have you checked for length of brass. It may have grown a little and needs trimming. Ypu may also need to anneal the neck and shoulder carefully to make sure brass is actually setting shoulder back. It may have case hardened and is springing back after FL sizing?

It is trimmed, may need annealed. That is the one thing I can think of I have not done.

I had a 257Wby in a mark V and had 60 pieces of brass once fired when I sold it and had Hart rebarrel a 700 in 257WBY. Out of the 60 pieces I was able to use 17. The problem was the belted area on the brass. The factory Wby had a deeper recess for the belt. I know a belted mag headspaces off the belt but since then I have ran in to this a couple times. I took 2 cases that you could not close no matter how hard you tried and chucked them in a lathe and removed .002 from the front side of the belt until it closed. One took one try removing .002 the second needed .004. In theory belted mags should be the same unless chambered with a reamer made to headspace off the shoulder. If you want to see if this is your problem find one that is tight or won't close and cut it off .250 or so in front of the belt and try to chamber it.

"Paint" a too-tight case with a dark color "dry erase" type of felt tip marker. Carefully chamber and extract it, inspect it to see where you have rub contact completly around the case to find the tight spot. From that you should be able to figure out how to correct it.

My bet is that the shoulder isn't set back quite enough.

"Paint" a too-tight case with a dark color "dry erase" type of felt tip marker. Carefully chamber and extract it, inspect it to see where you have rub contact completly around the case to find the tight spot. From that you should be able to figure out how to correct it.

My bet is that the shoulder isn't set back quite enough.

Yup, that was it.

I have had a similar problem myself recently.

I discovered that I didn't set my sizing die far enough down. I went 1/8 turn up from touching the shell holder in the up position instead of 1/8 turn down.

After I made the fix I resized again and all brass chambered perfectly.

Sniper, do you use any case lube inside your neck?
I had similar with my 300 Wby ULW. After sizing the once fired brass out of my rifle . I had problems chambering the brass even after bumping the shoulder all the way back. Turned out the expander was grabbing the inside of the neck just enough to pull the shoulder out of specs.
I tried a small amount of Imperial sizing wax on the inside of the neck. Problem solved. Might be something to check.

Sniper, do you use any case lube inside your neck?
I had similar with my 300 Wby ULW. After sizing the once fired brass out of my rifle . I had problems chambering the brass even after bumping the shoulder all the way back. Turned out the expander was grabbing the inside of the neck just enough to pull the shoulder out of specs.
I tried a small amount of Imperial sizing wax on the inside of the neck. Problem solved. Might be something to check.

I have not thought of that, I will pull the expander button out just to test.......

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.