What happened to this brass?

Over the years:

Had a customer insist it was perfectly fine to shoot 7mm Rem mag in 338 Win mag. He had sold the 7mm rifle and still had 100 rounds left. Also insisted it put down whatever big game animal out to 100 yards. He got cranky even though I was diplomatic when I said it was a poor idea.

Shooters asking for "300" ammunition - followed by blank looks and frustration when we ask them to bring the rifle so they get the right stuff.

Customer had a sporterized 1917 Enfield making light primer strikes. Barrel had been correctly marked 308 NM for Norma mag, all the owner paid attention to was the 308 and thought it was Winchester.

The whole 7mm Mauser in an 8mm Mauser thing.

Fellow had tremendous feeding problems in his 9mm Luger pistol - because it was actually a 40 S&W.
He wouldn't believe me until I removed his magazine, locked the slide back and dropped a 9mm cartridge into the muzzle for him to watch as it bounced out of the mag well onto the counter.

The 350 L will take 357 bullets. That looks like an over pressure load with too much/wrong powder and jammed in the lands.
I've shot close to 300 rounds of handloaded 350L ammo.
Load was 26gr of 'Lil Gun. Did not say what depth it was seated to.

Beats me, but they do look like they were fired in a 300 wby chamber. It wouldn't surprise me at all if someone who didn't Know any better fired some 300 wm cartridges in a 300 wby.
Yep you can't fix stupid

We got something in Hunter Ed instructor literature back in the late 80's about a hunter who fired a 280 Remington round in a rifle chambered for 270 Winchester. Messed his face up with shrapnel, but he was lucky to survive.

I'll bet the guy didn't know what he had done, he loaded 3 in the magazine 1 in the tube fired his rounds thought good enough and went home leaving the evidence behind, over the years I've witnessed a 223 being fired in a 220 swift took the guy a number attempts to get the thing to go bang, I'd have bet money you couldn't get the thing to fire,
I have s friend who couldn't "afford" the Wby so shot 300 Wm all the time.
Can you say "carbon ring"?.....couldn't resist

I pressure out at ~25 grs Lil gun with a 140 ftx. This is my accuracy load @2500 fps----2.35" coal starline brass.
We were not involved with the discussions between the customer & the factory, so I can't say what their opinion was on the kaboom. ( I did not talk to him the day he picked up the replacement) Most companies will not warranty any damage done while using handloads. But I can say this particular company has been known to offer low replacement cost firearms to people who have such boo-boos and other issues.
My guess is a combination of a tight bore & a tad too much pressure coupled with a bullet that might have been oversized/or expanded too much. And that is all it is....an uneducated guess.
Myself, I'm looking at getting a .350 for the grandson. But if we decide to handload, I'm going to stick to the .355" bullets.
Just too many variables in some of the specs I've seen.

Bullet diameter on the Legend is .357, not .355. Like I said- it's basically a rimless 357 Maximum. Here's a link to the Winchester site with dimensions on the Legend. https://winchester.com/350-legend/faq

We were not involved with the discussions between the customer & the factory, so I can't say what their opinion was on the kaboom. ( I did not talk to him the day he picked up the replacement) Most companies will not warranty any damage done while using handloads. But I can say this particular company has been known to offer low replacement cost firearms to people who have such boo-boos and other issues.
My guess is a combination of a tight bore & a tad too much pressure coupled with a bullet that might have been oversized/or expanded too much. And that is all it is....an uneducated guess.
Myself, I'm looking at getting a .350 for the grandson. But if we decide to handload, I'm going to stick to the .355" bullets.
Just too many variables in some of the specs I've seen.

Witnessed a wannabe at range few years back, all decked out in camo, tucked in boots and latest rigger belt...Shooting a 1022 with all kinds of crap attached to it. Kept picking up his fired cases and looking at them funny..I had to ask. Said look, my firing pin is messed up, keeps hitting brass on the edge instead of center. Told him to go in range shop and show the gun to Smith/owner. Owner came storming outside with idiot and asked which ---hole sent him in? Threw idiot off range for being to stupid to own a gun, and proceeded to chew me out for disturbing his nap. We still chuckle on that one......…

yes, does look like a wby but doesn't surprise me one bit --I have a buddy that works at a lgs-- he has had quite a few people come in trying to buy the wrong cartridge--seems like if it has the same numbers in it they dont go any further

357 sig for a 357 mag gun
22lr for a 223
300 wsm for a 300wm and vice a versa
45acp for a 45 colt
380acp for a 38spl
on and on
also a .30 carbine will chamber and fire in a .223 rifle. ( had a person com in an ask for a box of carbine ammo. Next day brought in a AR15 CARBINE. It fired 1 round and locked up. Took about and hour to disassembly. The 110 grain .30 round exited. I lost the case from some 40 years ago. Gun was fine and all gauges (go, no-go, and field) tested correctly.)

Didn't you know a 300 Wby is just a 300 WM AI? Just shoot to fire form! ;) I can't think of how many people have told me they have a "300 mag Weatherby", But got really confused when asked if it was 300 Weatherby mag, or a Weatherby 300 Win mag......Yes it's kind of scary out there!

If this bugs the OP, just say and I'll remove......a buddy just sent this picture to me, brass he picked up. 30-06, right case is one of his. Any thoughts on what caused the inverted donut?View attachment 173614
30/06 in a 8MM mauser?

Interesting find looking at the SAMMI Specs. https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/350-Legend-CC-Drawing-Website.pdf The Cartridge Drawing shows a bullet dia of .357 and the Chamber drawing shows a bore of .346 and a grove of .355. Surely there is something that I am missing. I would think that would be edited to death before printing?
Have I had too much coffee this morning?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.