what .308 brass to get??

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by yzm19, Apr 23, 2009.

1. yzm19

yzm19 Well-Known Member

hello
    what .308 brass should i try and get??? winchester, federal match, hornaday, lapua????

please help me with info.

2. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

My experience with brass in general is that the order of preference is

1. RWS
    2. Lapua
    3. Norma
    4. Sorted Winchester

If you go the Winchester route you will need about 300 cases to get two batches of 75 that are usable. The other 150 will need to be discarded. The two batches will need to be prepped and kept separate forever and forever.

I have never tried Federal Match but it has a really good reputation for factory loaded which means it must be fairly good quality. I would test it at see if it needs to be sorted.
    I have not tired Hornady but I have tried Nosler and I finally just threw all 100 pieces away.

If you go up into the video section you will see that my kids have a very low tolerance to my sloppy reloading habits.:D Really and truly I would not do half the things I do when reloading if it was not for them wanting to shoot better than I reload.

3. yzm19

yzm19 Well-Known Member

what do you do to prep the winchester brass?? im not into that weighing them thing. i do length and resize. im going to put 175mk bullets in them also.

4. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

Lapua, Nosler. In that order.

5. yzm19

yzm19 Well-Known Member

what makes lapua soo good??? i might get some of that i think.