what do you guys do?

Sounds like my friends... They claim the love guns and shooting, yet, they always have something to do on range day...

I love it. Burning powder and slinging lead is almost instant stress relief for me.

I wish I could shoot everyday! For me the issue is always trying to find a range and when I do its usually an hour away. So, my shooting trips turn into day long excursions. I can make 20 rounds out of my .308 last two hours just to enjoy the moment. Usually during the wait in between shots I look at ballistic tables and drops charts for the round I am shooting that day. Also, BSing with other shooters and seeing what rifles they have breaks up the time as well.

I take a small cooler with ice water and several long narrow strips of cloth. I generally take two rifles and alternate shooting them, one is cooling with a strip of cold damp cloth on the barrel as I shooth the other. This works very well to take the heat out of the barrel.

I was not a member at my local range and it was 10$ per hour to shoot, I had more time waiting for my barrel to cool, it can get waistful spending $$$ per hour waiting...

Was able to see 7mm holes at 300 with that scope. Need ideal conditions though. A heavier tripod would make a difference too.

I have used a wet rag to cool down a hot barrel. Shooting in the summer here where we regularly get 100* days you'd be waiting a long time for a barrel to cool. I've read someone suggest running water down the bore but the thought of that makes me cringe. I don't see much problem with a wet rag to suck some of the heat from a barrel. I wouldn't do it to a burning hot barrel but a warm to the touch barrel can be cool to the touch in less than a minute. Have not noticed any severe poi shifts or anything doing this.

A .22 bolt gun is a great way to get some trigger time while you wait. Mimics your big guns action and is slow enough to keep you occupied while your gun cools.

Unless im shooting one of my F-class rifles , i shoot 2 groups of 5 shots threw the PVM-21 chronograh then move on to the next rifle. Unless a rifle starts shooting bad i done clean it! Some of my rifles need cleaning before others. Usually 200-400 rds mark is where i clean them. Basicly when my gun gets hot i just walk in the house get another one and start shooting it or one of my Ar-15s.gun)

Anyone have one of the Vortex Diamondback 20-60×60.
Can you see small bullet holes @ 300 ?
I have no problem reading fine print (on targets) @ 100 with my Diamondback 20-60x80.

I use the Birthwood Casey Shoot-n-See targets where it "lights up" green around where the bullet passed through, that way I can spot shots better. I started using them back when I had a really crappy spotting scope for the last many years, and it really helped. But have since become a big fan of them, so I just keep using them, even though I have a much better spotter, now.

Chris, I am surprised no one here has seen this. Go to Wally World and purchase a $8 air mattress inflator that runs on 4 D cell batteries. I connected a flexible plastic hose to the inflator and an old Stoney Point bore guide to the end of the hose. When my barrel gets too warm I pull the bolt and insert the bore guide, turn on the inflator and in a few minutes the barrel is cooled down. Here in the Az. desert 100+ degrees is very common. I thought of running a longer length of hose through an ice chest but this works fine without. I saw one guy at the range take a wet towel from his ice chest and throw it on his barrel, made me cringe. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.