What do you guys think of this???????

Dude was probably motor T, and touched his rifle for grass and qual,
I don't know why you bring up motor T?
I was motor T and did a stint of a month or so at the rifle range in Okinawa. If I remember correctly only 4-5 marines topped my high score and yes some were grunts.
Remember that even qualifying as a marksman in the marines will top all other branches qualifying standards.
No love for me now but you guys loved me when I drove your tired but's back to the barracks after a week in the field! 😉

Last edited:
I don't know why you bring up motor T?
I was motor T and did a stint of a month or so at the rifle range in Okinawa. If I remember correctly only 4-5 marines topped my high score and yes some were grunts.
Remember that even qualifying as a marksman in the marines will top all other branches.
No love for me now but you guys loved me when I drove your tired but's back to the barracks after a week in the field! 😉
Well, since you brought it up, I was an engineer officer and I won the US Army Alaska championship all three years I competed. I shot twice at the I Corps (three plus divisions at the time) Championships; the first time I finished second (a Ranger beat me but I beat the other Rangers) and first place the second year. The second year I Corps was commanded by LTG Schwartzkopf and he gave me my trophy (as well as congratulating me during a team match). The middle trophy is the one he gave me.

Attachments

• trophies.jpg
    trophies.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
just watched the op vid
the guy seems to have some bad habits. i think if he worked on those he would instantly improve
seemed like the whole backend moved as he was pulling the trigger, but not just from recoil. im sure no rear support was most of the problem.
but the thing i noticed right away was the head jerk. as soon as he pulled the trigger, he would pop his head up. maybe shy from magnum eyebrow but seemed like a habit. gotta keep as still as possible, even after the shot. then reload. thats why he couldnt see his shots, but the zoom was part of the issue.

To me this is exactly what this forum is about. Long Range Hunting from unknown positions and ranges. You have to figure all this stuff out and make it happen with very high hit ratios on first round shots. This is what makes a hunting long range so difficult in reality then on paper. It's also why NRL hunter is a great comp to separate key board warriors from the folks who get it done. I hunt predators all winter and some times it feels like a barn is hard to hit.
I agree. I felt it is a good challenge for those interested in hunting. The shooter was horrible though. I'd like to see a competent shooter with an accurate custom rifle try it. Maybe a professional PRS competitor. I think that would be entertaining.

I agree. I felt it is a good challenge for those interested in hunting. The shooter was horrible though. I'd like to see a competent shooter with an accurate custom rifle try it. Maybe a professional PRS competitor. I think that would be entertaining.
There's several PRS guys that could and have cleaned something like this.

There's several PRS guys that could and have cleaned something like this.
At unknown distances using their rangefinder? Maybe, but I'd like to see it done. The marine reminds me of some FL and AL hunting club members who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. They constantly missed standing deer from a steady shooting box at 100yds.

I find that most dirtbags are quick to judge a person they have never been with in person or spent any time with as far as what they do for a living if there not cheating their clients and make a honest living and have a good personality like this guy on backfire I will enjoy watching his video's. I would like to meet him also just to know if he's the same in real life. And I will leave judging totally for God to do. And as far as the Marine in this video I wouldn't judge him either as far as the scope bite many Marines have done the same thing in the field during war talk to the medic's that treated them in the field. Just a thought before you judge one particular Marine.

The video may have some problems, but I think it was useful. I have heard Eric multiple times state he would never shoot past 600yds when hunting, and not that distance unless conditions were good. The ranging issue is certainly one in flat country when shooting a smaller animal, particularly when a lot of brush is present. Not to mention you might not have time to get on a tripod and steady your hold on a coyote or antelope. A long time guide out west has said when he has checked the competancy of longer range shooting with his clients, the real capability is about half whatever they say. This video should serve as a reminder that using a hunting rifle, no spotter, real life field positions, that making a long distance shot is not the same as shooting in a controlled, or semi-controlled situation.

To me the whole premise was flawed -- anytime I've ever boasted 100% surety, I've had my ego handed back to me beaten and bleeding.
Of course, at the start of the video, I wanted him to exceed 80%. Heck, I know maybe one shooter who could do that, but he would never claim that ability.
When I saw the gun, and then how he shouldered it, I thought "huh". When he tatered his eye, I thought it didn't portend well.
Of course, so many things in the video were product placement.
I find Backfire's videos amusing and he's not grating on my ears. He made a recommendation for a bottom end scope that I trusted, bought the scope, and now have two. It's been valid.
Would I have volunteered to do the test? Heck yeah. I wouldn't bring anything lighter than a light varmint or HBar barrel. I have five rifles (built for LR hunting, but 10-13#) in my safe that I could choose from, but I would likely stick with 7mm as a caliber.

Last edited:
If given training in range estimation, or using a range finder maybe one of our former junior shooters can hit better than most using the 223 service rifle she shoots, 20 inch Bartlein barrel 4.5X scope, sling. She can read the wind and she is familiar with the external ballistics of the 77 SMKs at short range, and 80s at 600.

200 yards standing 3 inch X ring, 7 inch 10, sling not allowed.

200 yard sitting rapid in 60 seconds, sling, same target as in standing.

300 yards prone rapid in 70 seconds, sling, 1 moa X ring, 7 inch 10 ring.

600 yards prone, single load, sling, 1 moa x ring, 2 moa 10 ring.

Score was shot at Camp Perry last year

download (2).jpeg

Last edited:
At unknown distances using their rangefinder? Maybe, but I'd like to see it done.
That really shouldn't be a problem. Range finder off the top of tripod, either on a plate or just stabilized on a shooting bag, should have no issues ranging milk jugs out to 600

If given training in range estimation, maybe one of our former junior shooters can hit better than most using the service rifle she shoots, 20 inch barrel 4.5X scope, sling.

200 yards standing 3 inch X ring, 7 inch 10, sling nor allowed.

200 yard sitting rapid in 60 seconds, sling, same target as in standing.

300 yards prone rapid in 70 seconds, sling, 1 moa X ring, 7 inch 10 ring.

600 yards prone, single load, sling, 1 moa x ring, 2 moa 10 ring.

Score was shot at Camp Perry last year

View attachment 551467
The scores that folks are posting from real shooting events are IMO a great indicator of how difficult it is to shoot large strings really well, using really nice equipment. Thanks to all who have posted their real scorecards. These actual scorecards tell a different story from what most people think and say.

The scores that folks are posting from real shooting events are IMO a great indicator of how difficult it is to shoot large strings really well, using really nice equipment. Thanks to all who have posted their real scorecards. These actual scorecards tell a different story from what most people think and say.

AR10s qualify as hunting rifle, right? Maybe I will ask my former teammate, Keith, to take on the challenge.

AR10, 308, 20 inch barrel, 4.5X scope, sling. 1000 yards, 1 moa X ring, 2 MOA 10 ring.

Screenshot_20210414-160900_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: