What do you guys think this used wall tent is worth?

Andy Backus

Field Editor
Staff member
12 x 12 Montana Canvas

Seller guesses it's 8 years old.

Like new. Only ever set up in his backyard for the kids to use.

It's right down the street from my house so no shipping, etc.

I'm considering buying it so let me know what you think it's worth and any pro's or con's in your opinion. I'd plan to use it as a 2 person mainly for camping in the mountains out of a truck during hunting season. Who knows - maybe some horse camping in the future?

Tent-1.jpg
Tent-2.jpg
Tent-3.jpg
Tent-4.jpg

Around Denver used tent prices are pretty cheap. My best guess would be $75 to $150 for a GP Small sized unlined wall tent.

If that is a metal wood stove vent in the roof, you can add $25 to $50.
If is not metal it is worth 0.00 .

We did a lot of tent camping way back when we couldn't afford a pop-up camper with a furnace. You can take a well built pop-up anywhere you can take a full sized truck.
And the propane furnace: Priceless.

Most of our hunting party is over 50 with some of us over 60. Lately we have been bringing 2 pop-up campers with us so we can camp/hunt with our adult children. Works for me.

JM .02

Montana Canvas tents are spendy. That tent probably cost over a grand with the fly. If it is like new I would offer him $500 or so and see what he says. I would go up to about 600, but not more.

I have a tent that is similar from Beckel Canvas in Portland Oregon and I paid around $550.00 10 years ago less the fly. The stove pipe opening looks like its fiberglass and that's what you want if you will pack it with a horse. I think the floor is detrimental especially in inclement weather...just don't work well. Check for mildew. Offer $250.00.

I think the floor is detrimental especially in inclement weather...just don't work well. Check for mildew. Offer $250.00.
What he said. ;)

The wife and I bought a couple of these 4 years ago and run 1K each without poles from Denver Tent and Awing for horse packing. One is designated for the cook shack.
If you buy a wood stove burn it in at least three times ask me why.

Elk Hunting Tent 16 X 20

All I needed to do is go to Home Depot and buy 21 pieces of 1 inch EMT or conduit.
Total price including a really nice $25.00 tubing cutter was $150.00.
Length are;
8 each 9' 1" Rafters
9 each 77 11/16 Ridge Poles*
8 each 53 1/2" Legs
It came with rope, tighteners and stakes too.
Looks like she weighs 90 lbs

16X20TENT4.jpg

16X20TENT5.jpg

16X20TENT6.jpg

16X20TENT7.jpg

16X20TENT8.jpg

16X20TENT11.jpg

16X20TENT10.jpg

16X20TENT9.jpg

16X20TENT12.jpg

I bought a MT Cnvas wall tent last year. It is 12 x 17. Tent goes for $1000 new and the aluminum full frame is $850. Floors are $200.

My best guess that 12x12 out here would bring $500 with no aluminum frame around elk season.

I like mine and the MT canvas tents are well made and viewed to be of good quality. I have been to the factory in Belgrade, good people to work with.

Montana Canvas - Welcome

Here is my set up.

Resampled_2011-10-13_16-19-27_948Medium.jpg

I have that same tent in green,8-10 yrs.old.Was $500 new,fly was $275, no fly for me, is nice to have.Been a great tent.Made it th,rew east side wind,and west snow

We have two Montana Canvas Tents for our elk camp, 12x 17 for sleeping quarters & a 10x 12 for a cook tent only. (also have a 12x 20 Alaskan guide for sleeping).

Price will depend somewhat on canvas weight, 10oz, 12oz etc. Not a great amount but enough to enquire about. Broz' prices are pretty much what we paid as well, except for the frames (ours are custom with an additional leg on each side).

I'd offer him $500, seems good...

Attachments

• Hunting 2011 038.jpg
    Hunting 2011 038.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 147
Outlaw6.0 Looks like we have the same 12 x 17 tent. I love mine and it will sleep 4 on cots and still plent of room for the stove. and a small table.

Man all these pics of wall tents makes me want to load up and go!!

Andy, that 12x12 would be a great tent for you and Len with a small stove. I recommend you look at Riley Camp Stoves made right here is Townsend MT. The owner is an awesome guy. I have the "Wrangler" these stoves pack up all inside the stove, stove pipe and all and are very light.

outdoor wood stoves, Riley Stove Company Townsend, MT Home

Jeff

Thanks so much for all the helpful info guys! It was great getting all your input so quickly.

I bought the tent for $275. I'm very happy with the tent and the price. According to MC's website it looks like this tent would be well over $1000 brand new.

It's in new condition. Smells clean. I like how this size and shape of tent is a fairly compact package (including poles, etc.) for hauling around (truck, horse, backpack) and extremely easy to set up. We set it up in the yard and it took less time than setting up a large dome tent.

I think it will work out real well for 2 people to hunt out of. In a couple years if we feel we want something bigger - fine.

I also think my wife will enjoy it more than a big dome tent out in the Colorado high country this summer. Or do you guys think we'd be better off with a light-weight tent when the daytime temps are up in the high 70's or 80's? We'll be camping at 11,000 feet.

I will be planning on using a wood stove when needed. I really like the looks of the Riley Stoves. Thanks for the heads-up.

What advice would you guys give on how to choose a stove for a wall tent?
I would maybe do a little cooking on it in a pinch, but nothing serious.

You stole that tent for $275... lucky guy!!

It is surprising how quickly those big wall tents go up when an experienced crew tackles it. Even our 12x17 with full interior frame, two guys, 30mins staked & moving things inside.... & WAY more room. They stay a lot warmer too (see my pic :D). We usually run a mister heater in the sleeping tent & a wood stove similar to the one above in the cook tent.

I have a tent that is similar from Beckel Canvas in Portland Oregon and I paid around $550.00 10 years ago less the fly. The stove pipe opening looks like its fiberglass and that's what you want if you will pack it with a horse. I think the floor is detrimental especially in inclement weather...just don't work well. Check for mildew. Offer $250.00.

I've been in his store a few times. He carries pack saddles too. He's just a little pricey for me though.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.