What do you guys think of this???????

AR10s qualify as hunting rifle, right? Maybe I will ask my former teammate, Keith, to take on the challenge.

AR10, 308, 20 inch barrel, 4.5X scope, sling. 1000 yards, 1 moa X ring, 2 MOA 10 ring.

View attachment 551468
So for the winner, that is an 80% hit rate on a target the size of a deer's vitals. I assume the standard 2 sighters and wind flags? Good info.

I have twin granddaugters that drink 4 to six gallons of milk every week. I could come up with the milk jugs.

When Tasco came out with a fancy 3x9 scope I took off the 4x Weaver and put the Tasco on my 8mm Mauser, and went to sight it in. It hit me between my eyes the first shot. I pulled my head back a bit, and fired again. It hit me again. I was young and stubborn. By the time I gave up, I had a scar that lasted for years, and I was flinching so bad that my last shot went into the ground 10 yards in front of the bench. I'm surprised that guy ever hit a jug after that first shot.

I hunt with a Marine, and I can attest to the fact that they don't all shoot well. I watched an Army Ranger hit the gongs at 200, 300, and 400 yards, and later that week miss an elk broadside at 400 and a running pass shot at 100 yards. I'm not saying I could have made either shot, but It is different in the field.

Thats the way ALL businesses in a free society work. Pick whatever gun, scope, trigger, you like and the companies that make those all produce content that is "biased and opinion based". Chevy vs Ford. As far as, "his antics are neither entertaining nor funny", is this an opinion based statement?

Yes we do live in a clown world. A world where clowns can make a living if they can get people to watch. I am glad we do! Freedom rules! Here are two other videos that will show the type of stuff I have watched on youtube some of it is funny sometimes, some of it is dumb(my opinion). Some of it shows the awe inspiring America we live in. When I made this post I just wondered what people thought about shooting jugs out to 600.

Love him or hate him....... Whistlin Diesel....

THIS VIDEO IS AN AWESOME SHOW OF WHAT YOU CAN BECOME IN AMERICA...EVEN AN EX-CON...

But those companies in addition to marketing actually make a real product. Unlike YouTube experts. Sure leupold hypes their scopes, but they actually make scopes that people like.

YouTube and YouTube channels are a business. The product they put out is entertainment. Entertainment people like. You may not like a certain YouTube channel but just like leupold, It's your choice to support them or not. Dudes rich off a channel for doing what he does. Just like the $160ish million in revenue Leupold generates for doing what they do. That's America. I believe that's the point @bluedog69 is making.

My Hats off, to Courtney from, Texas Plinking 1,000 yard, Steel Challenge ( YouTube ) Season #3, 3rd shooter,.. 6.5 Creedmoor !
She's a,.. "Killer" ,.. IMO as She never missed, the 10" Plate by more than, 2" or so and Hit it on, the 4th or, 5th shot then hit, the 5" Plate on, the 5th or 6th shot,.. Congrat's to,.. Ms Courtney ! That was,.. Impressive !

Last edited:
Well... I KNOW that I can't that's for sure. BUT... it also amazes me the guys who can sit and shoot paper all day long. After a rifle is sighted in... sure a few more just to confirm... maybe shoot a grouping or two on a new gun if I haven't before for a load... but I'm BORED POOPLESS!!! My range doesn't allow you to put clay targets or balloons, etc. So the range to me is where I go sight in a rifle. Take some shots out to 300 yards (max). Where I practice is a few big fields where the landowners let me shoot and I just pull up to a spot off the grid road... pick a rock out there anywhere from 100 yards to 800 or more (one field is over 1800 yards and both are in hilly countryside), range it and fire. Maybe I fire 1, 2 or 3 shots at one rock then go to the next. I do the same thing in gravel pits as i work on the engineering side of road construction. Rocks or spurts of grass on a pile. You learn really quickly what your capable of freehand versus with a rest and how consistent you can be. Hence I now hunt with a single (1 post) rest with me on every walk and that's for the short shots. I'll bring a bipod that I have mounts set up for on my longer range guns. Even when I'm out deer or moose hunting... If I see a coyote... even if he's 800 yards out there... I'm taking a crack at him. A friend can't believe I'll burn up 2-3 rounds of expensive ammo at a coyote that starts at 400 yards away and I will fire away untill I can't see him anymore. But he still talks about the day that I almost hit a sitting coyote at over 800 yards. His exact words before I pulled the trigger were "why waste the ammo... you'll never come close" It was offhand leaning against the side of the truck and yes.. it was fluky as heck but I almost hit his tail as he sat there. But to me... it's training. Then I shot twice more at him until he was like 1400 yards away (nowhere close) and my friend watching and ****ing himself laughing. He said that coyote wont have to take a schite for a week!!!

Unfortunately... I can say that I have made a number of shots on game that I should have NEVER attempted and missed shots that were the equivalent of the infamous "1 foot" putt in golf. As I get older... it seems harder to get in the trigger time and I KNOW... that when I'm practicing consistently... the confidence to make an ACCURATE shot is huge. But when I'm not... maybe the "arrogance" of I can make that... takes over more, but if I see an animal... my first thought NOW... is can I sneak/drive in closer or will they walk my way for a shot versus shoot them now. A perfect example one year was having 30-378 for moose in the farmlands expecting to shoot across a quarter section if necessary but I wound up shooting it at 30 yards.

I will say that there is something about shooting at an animal that gets me "zeroed in" I am so intent on the point on the animal, etc. That I know I actually become better then when I'm on the range. Watching the bullet hit in the scope (on a few of my guns i love that moment). BUT... a friends son will outshoot him and I EVERY DAY on the range (and badly) yet he somehow has a super tough time actually hitting an animal.

I should clarify the above though...

It's fun to TRY and hit targets (rocks) wayyyy out there. But I'm truly practicing the 450 yards and under range. The over 450 is the... let's see... its doable. The over 600 mark is the... lol. What heck... let's try it, there's still shells in the box.

Sometimes you go... holy crapp I hit it!!! Other times a huge dose of humility smacks you in the face as you realize how out you were due to wind, technique, your rest, breathing, etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Here are my thoughts on this...This guy just plain isn't a good shooter. Unknown variables, sure. Hard to get ranges, sure. But his hit percentages were terrible. Just this past Saturday I shot in my first ever PRS style competition. I used a loaner rifle that the organization provided. I showed up with 140 rounds of ammo, for the 98 round course. The rifle got there late, I had enough time to shoot 10 rounds, verify zero and get a velocity. Of the targets there, at known ranges, I was able to hit 65% out to 1254 yards with a rifle I never shot with ammo I was unfamiliar with. I did use my Kestrel with AB. My first stage went very poorly as I needed to borrow a tripod that I wasn't familiar with the controls for it. This guy came unprepared and was just a bad shot.

I should clarify the above though...

It's fun to TRY and hit targets (rocks) wayyyy out there. But I'm truly practicing the 450 yards and under range. The over 450 is the... let's see... its doable. The over 600 mark is the... lol. What heck... let's try it, there's still shells in the box.

Sometimes you go... holy crapp I hit it!!! Other times a huge dose of humility smacks you in the face as you realize how out you were due to wind, technique, your rest, breathing, etc etc etc etc etc etc.
Here is the other advantage of shooting rocks: because you don't place a target, you don't get a chance to "feel" the wind at the target location. When I shoot at the range in Phoenix and spray my gong, it is hard not to ignore the direction the paint blows (to say nothing of the flags).