What cheap gun?

DONTSTROKEME

I am going to make a new toy gun. I have a Pre-64 M70 and like the safety, I have an A-bolt and like the action(bolt throw). I have never shot a Savage, I am wanting a gun that I can rebarrel and make very light, synthetic, skelotonized. I am thinking on the 243 Win caliber, 4000+fps w/55 grain, and good speed out of a 100gr. I would likely have a brake put on it being that I want it to be about 6lbs or less. My thing is that I don't want to spend alot on a gun that I am going to use just the action and a Rem 700 action can run about the same as a new rifle on its own. Any ideas or input or offers on your action or rifle would help me out,pics of what you have made would help too.

Joe Oakes

the new Stevens guns are the same as the Savage minus the accu-trigger. But the gun sell the factory barrel and stock for $50 and you'll have $200 invested , spend another $250 on a Hightech Specialties stock (20ozs), $250 on a quality threaded and chambered barrel from Sharp Shooters Supply and another $200 having the action timed and trued by Fred at SSS and their trigger , you'll end up with a gun thats light accurate and fairly cheap around $800 or spend the money for the Rem model 7 and live with a little extra weight.

I bought a mod 116 weather warrior in 300 RUM (Savage)for $429. doesn't kick any more than a 243win. make a 100gr bullet go much faster than the 243. and is super accurate...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.