What is a "glue-in" gun?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yorkplates, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Yorkplates

Yorkplates Well-Known Member

What is a \"glue-in\" gun?

I was just on the Hall (action) site and was reading that their bolt action receivers were for "glue-in" guns. What does that mean? And, what would a "glue-in" gun be in contrast with?

2. jb1000br

jb1000br Well-Known Member

Re: What is a \"glue-in\" gun?

the actions are glued in with epoxy instead of bolted in like normal rifles--takes any stress out of the setup.

they are removed with heat or cold.

HTH,
    JB

3. Yorkplates

Yorkplates Well-Known Member

Is that basically the same as being glass bedded? Does it make the accuracy any less durable? What I mean is, would it be wise to have a hunting rifle that was only a glue-in type receiver. Cold climate be a problem if used for hunting?

4. preacherman

preacherman Well-Known Member

...usually "glue-ins" are benchrest rifles, many without recoil lugs, mostly lighter recoiling calibers in heavyweight rifles...as mentioned above, eliminates action screws & subsequent stresses...pretty sure you wouldn't want to rely on glue only for heavy recoiling calibers...thanks

5. Centre Punch

Centre Punch Well-Known Member

Auburn,
    Glue your action into your stock and you wont get it out by normal means, I have heard of benchrest rifles grasped by the barrel being violently swung against a bench and the stock breaking before the glue in gave way. The heat involved to remove a glue in will destroy stocks and often bluing jobs as well.
    Some people will say that on a bench gun, for ultimate accuracy a glue in is the best way. For all the hassle involved, on a hunting rifle, conventional bedding is much more practical. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian.

6. jb1000br

jb1000br Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Auburn,
    Glue your action into your stock and you wont get it out by normal means, I have heard of benchrest rifles grasped by the barrel being violently swung against a bench and the stock breaking before the glue in gave way. The heat involved to remove a glue in will destroy stocks and often bluing jobs as well.
    Some people will say that on a bench gun, for ultimate accuracy a glue in is the best way. For all the hassle involved, on a hunting rifle, conventional bedding is much more practical. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian.

[/ QUOTE ]

first of all -- dont bother with less than a BR application with a light recoiling round

2nd--who in the hell would swing their BR rifle against a bench to remove the barreled action /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif WTF?

3rd, the heat is applied with an iron to the reciever--bluing and bedding are fine. the action expands and breaks the bond, problem solved.

JB

7. Centre Punch

Centre Punch Well-Known Member

jb1000br
    Boths of these practices are described in the book: The Ultimate In Rifle Accuracy by Glen Newick, except i got the swinging of the gun wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Its actually holding onto the stock and slamming the barrel onto the bench! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I am not familiar with techniques used in applying heat to release actions from glue ins and accept your broader knowledge on the subject, but i was only stating what i have read.
    I too would not like my BR gun to be slammed against a bench, in fact i would'nt like with any gun.

Ian.