what calibre for longer range coyote shooting!

You will have a hard time finding a better 'light' caliber for shooting past 550-600 yards than the 243, 243AI, or 260... If shooting under 500 you could get away with a 22-250 but you really gain a lot in high BC bullet selection by stepping up to the 6/6.5mm bullets. Only reason I wouldn't run a 243AI is because it won't have as good a barrel life... barrels are meant to be shot however and I have one on my to-build list (.243AI)! Best of luck with your decision :)

Mike

If you want a lazer to 600 yards and do not mind reloading the 240 gibbs is the fastest 24 cal before you just get to big. It is all you can get out of a '06 case. I have about all the ones listed and this one gets quite a bit of work with me. For one with good barrel life and still very fast and accurate I like the 243 AI. The 6-284 is between these two and very accurate.

^^Excellent option right here, the 243 AI is a diamond in the rough. Of course i'm a 6mm freak so my opinion is somewhat biased :cool:

243 win < I still have one of these
243 AI < I used to have
6mm Rem <Don't own
6mm AI < One of my very favorites & won't be without one.
6mm-284 < King of the hill as far as i'm concerned & I love mine.

In my neck of the woods, hands down, the most popular cartridge by far is the 22-243 win with a fast twist bbl. 75-80grn V-Max @ ~3500fps is very flat shooting & is great 'yote medicine. I have a slow twist on mine as it is a rechambered 22-250. I'm playing with the 68grn Hornady Match with a BC in the .350 area. Not great I know but the velocity potential is obsurd :D

t

Don't over look the 22-243. It's a nasty little predator gun. I am shooting mine with 80gr Amax bullets with 43grns h4831. Just under 3400fps. Low recoil and easy to reload for. It also makes a awesome long range medium game gun. Whitetails do not enjoy getting slapped with that 80 grainer going that fast. Run the numbers on the gun, pretty impressive.

Hello guys I am new here and I am looking for some help. I want to be able to shoot coyotes from 50 yards to 7-800 yards. I have been looking and reading about 6.5 creedmore, 6.5x284, 6.5/06 I am not saying this is what I am going to have to go with but those are what I have been reading about lately. Any and all help appreciated and thanks in advance.
I was in your same situation a couple of years ago. I settled on .260 Rem because it meets all of those needs and I don't break the bank feeding it.

I went with a full bull 24" bbl and Shrewd Muzzle brake. I've since done a slight mod on the MB and it's even better now. I can remain on target with ease to see my impacts even at 100yds.

Here's my "coyote gun".

3522d1320392918t-all-you-people-thinking-getting-started-but-intimidated-dollars-img_0066.jpg

Way too heavy to lug around. Makes an old man sore and irritable. The 375 AM is way luggable with laser ray trajectory and accuracy and can kill 'em farther than see 'em.:D:D Bullet is sufficient volume to include GPS guidance with Lat/Log/Elevation. lightbulb

Actually any thing from 22-250 on up that shoots good in the hands of the shooter will do the job.

I think a 510 Allen Mag would be perfect, you could kill em as far as you could see em.:D
Serioulsly though i think a 260 would be perfect.

Way too heavy to lug around. Makes an old man sore and irritable. The 375 AM is way luggable with laser ray trajectory and accuracy and can kill 'em farther than see 'em.:D:D Bullet is sufficient volume to include GPS guidance with Lat/Log/Elevation. lightbulb

Actually any thing from 22-250 on up that shoots good in the hands of the shooter will do the job.
To tell you the truth Roy i had 375 AM but edited it to 510 AM. I thought might as well go to the top of the "Food Chain Of Ballistics And Powder Consumpsion." :D

My vote is for the 6.5/06 as that is the only caliber I have shot a coyote with, but alas I have sold it so now my new varmint rifle will do the job. Kelbly Atlas action in a HS Precision BR stock, Jewell Trigger and a 6 Dasher 1/8 twist barrel. I used this barrel in competition on my Panda BR rifle to shoot 600 yds in comp. and it grouped pretty regularly at 2". The nice thing about this action is I can use any retired Benchrest barrel from my Panda and just screw it on, (don't have to worry about head spacing) no more buying barrels for a varmint rifle. If you don't shoot Benchrest, used barrels from any Panda will work and guys sell them for $50 or so. The 6PPC barrels may be open up to a 6BR for more velocity. Even though these barrels are retired they are more accurate than just about any varmint rifle you will ever shoot.
Just got it back from being bedded and now have it sighted in.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.