Rifle upgrades for longer range

TBuckus

I have a Model 70 .270 classic stainless that I would like to set it up for a dual purpose mid to long range hunter. I don't have a lot of money so it will be a budget build.
Here is my definition of mid to long range- something I can take in the brush at low power and easily scope deer, but be able to open shoot out to 5-600 yds accurately with a lot of practice. Right now I am uncomfortable with the accuracy that I can get from it at over 400 yds.

Here is what I have so far and what I am thinking/ wanting;
1. The gun is stock, except for a 3 lb trigger pull adjustment. Original plastic stock.
2. Keep it as light as possible.
3. Scope- currently have a Leupold 3x9x40 on it. Thinking 4-12x44 Vortex or similar in Zeiss. Or should I be looking at the 50mm objective scopes?
4. Stock- Looking at a Manners or McMillan. HS doesn't make one for the Model 70 and I don't like the feel of the B&C. Want to go light.
5. Trigger- Quite a few people say that trigger pull is a personal preference, but would I be better off with a lighter pull? Get an adjustable trigger?

A lot of what you are asking depends on the current accuracy of the gun. To shoot deer at 5-600 yards, you don't really need a gun that holds more than 1 MOA accuracy. You also don't need to upgrade your scope for that range. Now if you start talking further than that, you might want to look at those things, but the .270 has it's limitations as far as killing power at further distances as well.

So first and foremost, how accurate is your gun now? Do you currently reload? The stock and trigger upgrades could help with accuracy, but reloading will also if you don't currently do that.

I get 1" groups right now with factory ammo at 100 yds.
I just started reloading for my other rifles, and will reload for this one once I get rid of the factory ammo.

If get 1" groups at 100yds, what would that look like at 500?

Probably between 4 and 10 inches. Just too many variables when all you have is just 100 yard data.

I've never seen a drastic difference between the HS and the B&C stocks, but if you want light and relatively inexpensive then I'd look at:
Bell & Carlson Medalist Ultra-Light Browning A Bolt Mountain & Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather (U.S. Repeating Arms) Stocks

If you don't mind spending more, always check the Specials page at McMillan:
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, Winchester Hunting Stocks | Special Offers on Winchester Stocks

For a scope are you thinking turrets or reticle? A 4.5-15x44 Zeiss Conquest with target turrets would be great if you can find one, else the x50 is still available and is only a couple of ounces more. I shoot a couple of Vortex scopes and a couple of Zeiss, and the Zeiss is much clearer.

I like 2 pounds to 2 1/4 pounds of trigger pull, but that's personal preference.

I get 1" groups right now with factory ammo at 100 yds.
I just started reloading for my other rifles, and will reload for this one once I get rid of the factory ammo.

First and foremost, I would try to shoot at a longer distance to see what kind of groups your gun can hold. Try for 300+ yards if possible. If you continue to hold 1 MOA at those distances (1" for every hundred yards, so 3" groups at 300 yards, 5" groups at 500 yards, etc), then you do not "need" to make any changes to your setup to kill deer at 600 yards. Obviously reloading should help shrink those groups as well. But if the gun can hold MOA, all you need to do to get comfortable at 400+ yards is practice a lot at those distances.

Having said that, if you are truly on a budget, I would spend more money on reloading and shooting if I were you. Of course it would be nice to have a McMillan stock and a nice Vortex or Zeiss scope, but none of that is necessary for what you are trying to accomplish. Your 3x9 scope will do the trick just fine and your gun is probably accurate enough with the basic stock on it (assuming your groups don't go to hell at longer distances). That will also keep your gun as light as possible (adding a bigger scope or aftermarket stock will make it heavier). If your groups do open up at longer distances, remember that it could be shooter error as well, not just the gun or load. All the more reason to spend the money practicing and finding out how accurate both you and your current setup can be at longer ranges before dumping money into something you might not need.

One other thing I would suggest on your current Leupold scope is to send it to Leupold to get target turrets on them (M1 or CDS) assuming that they don't have them now. That way you can at least dial for those longer ranges without having to have a penny or screwdriver in your pocket. Very fair pricing ($130 for both windage and elevation M1 turrets) and it will help you a lot.

Just my two cents!

Is your rifle bedded? If not I would have a good bedding job done. Beyond that I would start hand loading for it, and like others said practice a lot, get some snap caps, place a small piece of tape on a far wall and dry fire. Use that dry fire practice to work on your fundamentals.Myself I would leave that trigger alone since you plan to use it for hunting 3# is plenty light. My light rifle is also a Mod 70 in 270, the trigger is right at 4# and I really don't want it any lighter.

Most has already been said. I would try some hand loads and see how it does. 1 MOA is not bad at all, especially if your goal is hunting and you can shoot well at the given distance you choose. We all want bugholes but for shorter distances it is just not that necessary, unless you just want it. I do. Ha ha

Scope- personally I would get a drop comp scope such as the Leupold 4-14x50 with B and C reticle. I have this scope and love it. Clear, easy, no muss no fuss. I sent it in this week for M1 Turrets so I can dial for LR but I am shooting precision. However, with the drop reticle I can dope the tick marks for for quick and accurate shooting out to about 600 yards.

Thanks for the replies.
Re; MOA- I did shoot the factory ammo at a longer distance. (220 yds was all I could do at one of the spots I go to.) and got a 3" group.
I have some Berger 130gr's and some TTSX's that I will be playing with over the off season.

The stock is not bedded. That is another thing I'll take care of.

Sounds like I don't need to change much as far as the scope. It is a VariX-2 and can tell a huge difference with the Zeiss I have on another gun. I may just get another one of those and put it on there. It has the rapid Z reticle on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.