What bullet will you take to Africa for a LR hunt?

ZAR LRH

I'm busy with my first LR hunting rifle specifically for african game up to eland and zebra up to 1200m. I'm currently only considering either a 300 in WSM, RUM, Norma Mag or a 338 in EDGE or Lapua. The 338 is the logical choice but the 300 is the more practical one given the bullets and powder we currently have at our disposal.

Bullet selection for me currently is one if not the main consideration. Given experience, what bullet would you guys design such a LR hunting rifle around for distances between lets say 800-1200m and if you don't mind why? Bergers, SMK, Nosler LR AB, Hornady Amax or perhaps something else?

I took the good old Accubond with me when I went. You certainly will give up some with the lower BC on the normal Accubond but for pretty tough African plains game I really like the bonded bullet. Vitals are more far forward on most plains game so it's nice to have a bonded bullet that dumps a ton of energy in the animal and can also wreck the front shoulder. To me it's a nice compromise between the monolithic's and Bergers (which I am a fan of also).

I took the good old Accubond with me when I went.

I used Accubond in my 375 H&h for some eland and zebra and although I love them over shorter distances up to 300m for their killing power, I'm a little scared that they will not mushroom over longer distances and just punch through.

The Accubond is capable way past 300 yards if it coming out of anything with decent muzzle velocity. Per Nosler you can take the bullet to a minimum MV of 1800 FPS and they will perform. My 300 WM is around 2000 FPS at 1000 yards so IMO you are selling the bullet way short of its capabilities by limiting it to 300 yards. Again to me it's a nice compromise as no bullet is perfect for every animal at all distances.

An 1800 fps impact with the Accubond is very optimistic, I won't shoot them lower than a 2200 fps after recovering a couple at that impact velocity that were barely open after going through game and impacting dirt. Combine that with a lower than advertised BC and your range shortens up dramatically.

Thanks bigngreen and bdpayne2000. I would also stay at least above 2000fps with them to be save. With regards to bullet performance and what the manufacturers state, I have learned one thing: 'In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.'

I would think that Nosler will not go through all the trouble in R&D with the LR accubond if the normal ones worked as advertised. I used the normal accubonds on a zebra cull and they amazed me about their effective killing and hitting power in my 375 H&H.

What do you guys use on big game in ranges from 700m and up and what has worked for you?

ZAR LRH, I see you are new here , Welcome, I will offer some testing I have done on North American big game. My bullets of choice are the 215 Berger for the 300 win mag and the 300 gr Berger OTM for the large cased 338's.

Here in these thread are terminal reports and results. 20 some documented in the thread using 215's

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Here are some results from the 30 cal 230's and .338 / 300 gr OTM's

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-230-300-otm-hybrid-terminal-results-80283/

If it were me going after the game you speak of, at the distances you suggest, I would be sending 230's in a 30 cal or better yet 300's from a good 338. Shot placement would be in the crease tight behind the shoulder just below center mass.

Just my personal opinion, hope some of my data can help you decide what will be best for your needs.

Jeff

I like Bergers and honestly the AMAX is devistating as well on deer sized game past 700 yards. Have not shot elk at those distances so can not comment. My only reluctance with them in Africa is vitals more far forward behind the shoulder. If you were shooting 338 probably not much too worry about as the mass and energy from a 300 gr bullet is pretty devastating. I have shot and seen Zebras shot perfectly and they are a load. I just worry about the Bergers and Amaxs at those ranges getting through the shoulder but can't say I have used them on African game only deer sized game.

Thanks Jeff. Will work through the threads and rsults.

Yes the problem we are faced with over here in africa is that the vitals are much more forward compared to American game. Centre body mass just behind the shoulder is normally a lung shot, but the back part of the lungs.

Thanks Jeff.

You are welcome. I know the threads are long but hopefully they will be worth the time.

Some things I myself have learned.

With Bergers the heavier for caliber the better allowing more after initial fragmentation to carry on.

You will get more penetration and less expansion as the distance goes out. This is what I want for a long range hunting bullet. Expansion is what I seek at the longest pokes with lower impact velocity to improve my odds for a quick dispatch.

The 30 cal 215's commonly do not exit with MV of 3000 fps under 600 yards on large body game like elk, dependent on placement. The 30 cal 230's will exit at shorter distances than the 215's.

We commonly get exits with the 300's even close up on elk sized game, but with MV's of 3200 fps some do not under 300 yards.

At any distance shot placement is king. Wind is hardest to conquer. A placement with a fragmenting bullet in the crease behind the shoulder allows for the widest kill zone if errors become reality.

Penetrating shoulders, with Bergers, of even large bull elk have not been an issue with slowed velocities common with distances above 700 plus yards. Even with a 300 gr OTM and a MV of 3200 fps.

With all bullets the problem changes from too much, or good expansion, to not enough as distance increases. I choose a bullet that works best at the longer distances. No expansion at 1000 yards could mean disaster even with a double lung hit on almost any large animal.

Again, shot placement is king, wind is hardest to conquer. Higher BC's will make you job easier at distance. The less error for a given wind drift, the easier the job of good placement will be. Thus the reason I use High BC bullets that expand easily at lower velocities.

In the end, there is no perfect bullet for all distances. Know your chosen bullet. Know how it reacts at low and high impact velocities. Use that knowledge to place it so it will work best to improve terminal results and work to your advantage.

Jeff

I agree with broz

I'de go w/ a 338LM loaded w/ 300 bergers.

I'm not sure but I've heard that to carry some rifles into different countries the brass headstamp must match the lettering stamped on the barrel. So that kind of limits the wildcat arena.

Thanks guys. Appreciate your insight. Yes joshua99ta. You are correct about the headstamp and barrel issue but I'm fortunate enough to live in Africa with regards to the hunting opportunities, but I envy your guys excess to rifle and ammo components in the States. I'm currently considering one wildcat, the 338 Umfezi based on 8x68 case. The problem is custom dies.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.