What BULLET do you use for LR hunting in .30 cal ??

CanadianLefty

Here is the situation:

1. All shots inside of 700 yards.
2. Main target: Sheep, Elk, Moose, Deer, Pronghorn
3. You're using a 300 Dakota or 300 RUM with 25" barrel

What weight bullet?
What brand and type of bullet?
Will hunting bullets expand at that range? i.e. Barnes TSX, Nosler Accubond, TBBC, Swift A-Frame, Swift Scirocco, Lost River Ballistic...

Hate to break up the accubond party but.... 220SMK WM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey all you lead core bullet fans, how about some help in defending your choices over on the topic "WHO IS USING BARNES TRIPLE SHOCKS" on bullets, barrels, and ballisics. There are some guys there saying we are crazy for picking these bullets for shooting game at long range!
I'm starting to feel like the wolves are circling me and they want dinner!

I have done a little testing and have come to the conclusion that the new bonded bullets don't hold to gether as well as some folks expect but they do hlod together alot better than say a Ballistic tip.
For the range and Velocity that your gonna be shooting I'd say that either the 180 or 200gr Accubond would work well for Elk , The SST interbonds seen to be a little more fragile than the accubonds from what I have seen but that is a very limited compairison on the accubonds side.
I like the 175gr Sierra Match Kings for deer but I think that they might be a little soft for Elk , the heavier one would probably work well like the 190-220gs

We killed two Moose season before last with 300 Ultra Mags using the 200 Accubond at about 3100 fps MV.

Both dropped with one shot.

First bull was at 200 yards, fragged the onside shoulder bone and on through two more ribs and stopped under the hide after just grazing the offside shoulder bone... penetrating lots of muscle tissue along the way. Bullet retained weight was about 135gr and a perfect mushroom. Bull just augered around the broken front leg and into the ground, instantly.

Second bull was at 100 yards and bullet went through two ribs behing the shoulder and exited. Bull lunged a couple times and just pilled up 10 feet later.

I like the "X" bullets out to 300-400 yards, beyond that a bullet that'll expand a little more easily to alot more easily is a better choice in my mind...

I killed a moose at 640 yards using my 416 WBY and a 400gr Swift A-Frame in 2000. MV was 2650 fps. Bullet broke both front shoulders, then exited. You figure what the terminal velocity was but, I assure you the bullet didn't expand much if it exited after going through all of that bone and muscle.

A week before this I put a finishing bullet in another Moose at 200 yards (same bullet), missing any big bone too, and this bullet stopped just under the hide, traveled about 24" through solid muscle on a quartering toward shot. Bullet weighed 365gr and was a perfect mushroom. It's rapid expansion obviously kept the bullet from getting out the hide on the off side.

From my experience with the "X" bullets, they will always penetrate far enough that they never get recovered, even on very close shots at point blank range, the further out they get, the more it will penetrate.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.