6.5 Bullet for Africa plains game

venatic

Trying to decide what bullet to load for 6.5 PRC to go to S Africa. Will have 375 loaded with 300 Swift aFrame for where appropriate.
Planned to use 156 Oryx but initial tests are not promising as accuracy is not acceptable but do have another round of testing with different powder.

I took I a shiras cow moose Approx 700# with 127 LRX out of a 26 nosler at 700 yds. Impact velocity was approximately 2400 fps. Nice mushroom to approximately 0.5", went through bottom of spine got lodged under offside hide. Have shot a couple of mule deer with the 129 LRX (basically the same bullet)out of a .270 and have had good success with them. All complete pass throughs, all animals found within 30 yards of the hit. I have been to Africa on photo safari, but never hunted there. But based off of what I have seen in 200-700# animals in the US the 127 lrx is what I would choose. If you are going after any of the very small antelope, forget what they are called, but about the size of a small dog. I would use an sst or some other bullet that expands very rapidly.

The story that African Game is so much tougher to kill than North American game is Safari legend, spread far and wide on the internet. The issue with most African game is their internal organs are located somewhat different than NA game. If you shoot them where you are used to shooting Deer and Elk they will often travel quite a ways. Load up any good expansion characteristic bullet like a Partition, Barnes TTSX, Hammer that shoots good in your gun and spend the rest of your time carefully studying the internals of the game you plan to hunt. Like everything else, hit them in the right place and they go straight down. Have a great trip, Africa is addictive.

10320-07364337e444456a765318e8ce044a07.jpg

elkanatomy.png

Last edited:
I've been to africa 5 times and have killed at least 5 animals each trip so I have some experience there. Some great advice above on vitals on animals. The first question is WHERE will you be hunting? North cape or East Cape vs the Limpopo in RSA would affect my decision. Much of the North Cape is open and longer shots are likely going to present themselves. That being the case I'd use the 156 Berger. In the Limpopo you are probably going to be in the bushveld. A long shot might be 150 yds and the Norma might be the bullet to use. Even if your getting 2 inch groups at 100 yds... Or an AB or perhaps a a Barnes.
Then you need to consider your species. What animals do you intend on hunting with the 6.5? A Kudu is as big as or can be bigger than a bull elk. How about an Roan? 2nd biggest antelope in the world. Wound one and you pay a trophy fee of $4-$6K. So I'd use the .375 there...... What I'm saying is use enough gun. Will a 6.5 whatever kill a roan? Yes it will. Is it ideal. No its not. So look at your animals as well as your bullet.
In the past I've used TTSX's and AB's. My last trip I expected some longer range shooting. I took my 7 SAUM with 180 gr Bergers. 15 one shot kills including 2 cape eland (487 and 513 yds). I used 2 on a Pattersons eland that appeared to weigh around 2000 lbs. He was getting ready to go down when I hit him the 2nd time. I was going to use my .375 on him, but circumstances changed how that went down. I hunted both RSA and Zambia that last hunt and a buddy used my rifle in Zambia also to bring up the animal total.
The Berger 156 is a new bullet, but likely the one I would take where any longer shot might be offered. I have had good results with them and have read on here of others doing well with them. Then perhaps the AB as my second choice. I have never used a Hammer bullet. I have been tempted to. They likely would do well for you also.
If you have not joined over to africahunting.com then you should do so. Lots of experience over there on permits, rifle transport, travel in africa, trip prep and getting trophies home. Good luck on your upcoming hunt. I hope its for 2021. 2020 sooner than Sept may not happen.....
Bruce

All good advice above the key take home advice is as always take what shoots good for you and that you have utmost confidence in making the shot count.

As Dean2 stated study the anatomy of the game you intend to shoot. When the time comes you can be confident in putting the bullet where it needs to be.

Case in point, we were told on several occasions by our PH that they would not take us using hollow point bullets. They were adamant we needed Barnes, partitions, A-frames etc in order to cleanly take African game. We chose another PH who was willing to take us. We shot 53 animals all 1 shot kills the other PH's hunters lost 6 animals using Barnes and Partions. Im not knocking Barnes and partitions but as we all know bullet placement matters. In fact, we shot a Zebra they had wounded and they were shooting way behind the shoulder.

We've taken many, many plains game over the last 20 yrs. Using the Sierra gameking hpbt bullets. That PH was at a lost for words everytime we called in an animal he'd ask how many shots. Our PH would tell him just 1 lol

Enjoy Africa it is like nowhere else it is very addictive indeed.

I've been to africa 5 times and have killed at least 5 animals each trip so I have some experience there. Some great advice above on vitals on animals. The first question is WHERE will you be hunting? North cape or East Cape vs the Limpopo in RSA would affect my decision. Much of the North Cape is open and longer shots are likely going to present themselves. That being the case I'd use the 156 Berger. In the Limpopo you are probably going to be in the bushveld. A long shot might be 150 yds and the Norma might be the bullet to use. Even if your getting 2 inch groups at 100 yds... Or an AB or perhaps a a Barnes.
Then you need to consider your species. What animals do you intend on hunting with the 6.5? A Kudu is as big as or can be bigger than a bull elk. How about an Roan? 2nd biggest antelope in the world. Wound one and you pay a trophy fee of $4-$6K. So I'd use the .375 there...... What I'm saying is use enough gun. Will a 6.5 whatever kill a roan? Yes it will. Is it ideal. No its not. So look at your animals as well as your bullet.
In the past I've used TTSX's and AB's. My last trip I expected some longer range shooting. I took my 7 SAUM with 180 gr Bergers. 15 one shot kills including 2 cape eland (487 and 513 yds). I used 2 on a Pattersons eland that appeared to weigh around 2000 lbs. He was getting ready to go down when I hit him the 2nd time. I was going to use my .375 on him, but circumstances changed how that went down. I hunted both RSA and Zambia that last hunt and a buddy used my rifle in Zambia also to bring up the animal total.
The Berger 156 is a new bullet, but likely the one I would take where any longer shot might be offered. I have had good results with them and have read on here of others doing well with them. Then perhaps the AB as my second choice. I have never used a Hammer bullet. I have been tempted to. They likely would do well for you also.
If you have not joined over to africahunting.com then you should do so. Lots of experience over there on permits, rifle transport, travel in africa, trip prep and getting trophies home. Good luck on your upcoming hunt. I hope its for 2021. 2020 sooner than Sept may not happen.....
Bruce

Bruce,
congrats on your successful hunt! Did you use the 180 hybrid? Thanks!

I really like the performance, both accuracy and terminal, of the 140gr Accubond outta both my 6.5x47 and 264WM.
Another great bullet, for me at least, is the 142gr ABLR, have used it as close as 100mtr and as far as 800mtr so far, works very well way out there and is not terrible up close.
Most shots have been between 100 and 800mtr, but they have mostly exited, only have 3 recovered.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.