Berger used at close range on african plains game

I have shot 2 elk with 210 Bergers out of my 300 Wby. Launched at 3000 fps, 3x5 bull at 464 yards hit high in the back (bottom of spine) total penetration 10-12 inches, biggest bullet fragment (no exit) size of a #6 buck shot. Totally blew up. Elk dropped in his tracks.

Elk #2; same rifle, etc. Smaller bull at 275 yards. Exact same shot placement and results.

I have read Broz's reports with the 230's and would like to try them, except the 210's shoot so well out of my custom 300 Wby......it would be a waste of time.

I do have a 338 hulk (wildcat based on the Lapua, shortened, blown out,etc) think 338 PPC, that I will try the 300's in.

John

we will be shooting kudu on the large size impala on the small size. My ph says long shots are around 250- 300 but we could have close shots at 75. If ultra long range (500+) shot is found he will let me take it.

With all due respect to those who have successfully killed game with Berger bullets...
Little 200 pound deer or elk are one thing, Kudu in the brush is something very different.
I am not here to bash Berger, rather to suggest the OP bring the best tool for the task at hand.
Hunting in North America has little to do with hunting large animals in Africa.

You will spend hard days fighting for shot opportunities. They come few and far between and will come quickly and the shot most likely will come at the north end of a south bound Kudu as it departs the scene thru patchy brush. Most shots will be within 75 yards at extremely wary animals.
Not to mention African game can be as tough as hell. Most prefer a 375 for Kudu and that should tell you something.

At home we shoot animals behind the shoulder (to save meat) while in Africa they smash the shoulders.
Once you see the terrain, the impressive size of the Kudu, get a look at its massive bone structure, then see how much lead they can soak up, you will understand why. You need a bullet that can smash BOTH shoulders and is fully capable of extreme penetration.
This is NOT wide open North American hunting...VLD bullets mean almost nothing inside 500 yards and you will not see a shot that far.

Practice shooting of a standing tripod....Its very weird until you get used to it.
Bring some solids.
Dry fire a couple hundred times a day.
A good scope in the 1-5X or 2-8x is about ideal. Leave you tactical scope at home.
I like the 375 H&H, but whatever you bring be sure that you are comfortable with it.
Bullet performance over horsepower. A 30-06 in near perfect for most of Africa.
1.5 MOA is plenty of accuracy over there.

Your PH is your best guide...ask him his honest opinion of a Berger for African hunting.
I promise he will look at you like you have 5 heads if you show up without at the very least having a bonded bullet.
You will also find that your trackers are bullet performance experts.
They will ALWAYS bring you a recovered bullet and a in depth discussion will always follow.
You do not want to let those guys down....If you do they will be very selective as to the game they show you....African bush politics do not favor the man that cant drop game quickly...Choose a bullet that will get the job done from any angle, though any bone or muscle.

It is often said that there are those that have been to Africa, and there are those that are going back.
You are in for the trip of a lifetime!

That's odd, talk to guys who hunt Africa with Bergers and they do just fine, you must of missed the video of Bob Beck blowing a hole through a Buffalo with a 300gr OTM, and the long range Kudu smack down, every guy I've talked to who hunted Africa with Bergers plan on doing it again and they had great success with them.

That's odd, talk to guys who hunt Africa with Bergers and they do just fine, you must of missed the video of Bob Beck blowing a hole through a Buffalo with a 300gr OTM, and the long range Kudu smack down, every guy I've talked to who hunted Africa with Bergers plan on doing it again and they had great success with them.

I was thinking the same thing. I have never been to Africa, but I do hunt elk and have never heard them referred to as "little 200 lb deer or elk". I have a friend that went to Africa and was commended on many one shot kills with his Bergers. Must have been a different breed of PH I guess.

I am also reminded of a recent visit I had with "Roy in Idaho" and he telling of the quartering away crack shot he had to make on his last elk. He will tell of the devastation of the Bergers performance that saved that shot from turning into a wreck.

In my reports from last season and the game we took I saw and reported we had more than one shot placed far from the perfect behind the shoulder hit. But yet not one required a second shot. I guess you just have to actually use the Bullet we are talking about to truly understand.

Jeff

Yes, I have used Bergers, but I am not a fan boy to any bullet. Every bullet has its strong suite.

I'm not saying it can't be done nor am I questioning the lethality of Berger bullets.
I am saying the bullet wont make it on a tough deep penetration shot.

I am also asking why you would choose a bullet with less penetration ability for a close shot when you could have an Accubond or Barnes TSX?

I haven't seen the buffalo video, but I bet it was a broadside shot.
If it made it through both shoulder blades I will be impressed.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.