Berger close up on game performance

It's pretty simple. If a bullet is designed with a jacket thin enough to expand at low velocity(long range) then it's going to come apart in high velocity impacts. Buddy was in Africa shooting critters with Bergers at 100 yds. Critters were running, bullets coming unglued. Trackers getting a lot of work. Talked the PH into backing off to 300 or so and all was good.

I keep seeing the same results and the same complaints time and time again. Please research how bullets perform before you go into the field to hunt with a rifle. If you want a pass through go bow hunting. Bullets are designed to expend their energy inside an animal destroying lungs and vital organs with shocking power dropping the animal due to internal trauma. Dead is dead but first and foremost you need to understand how bullets work... Berger bullets always perform and are devastating. They just work! Animals cannot go far with their vitals blown apart.

Unless you get a 3/4 facing away shot, hit a bone, and the bullet explodes in the paunch before reaching the chest cavity

Then I bet you would wish that you were using an all copper or a bonded bullet

It's pretty simple. If a bullet is designed with a jacket thin enough to expand at low velocity(long range) then it's going to come apart in high velocity impacts. Buddy was in Africa shooting critters with Bergers at 100 yds. Critters were running, bullets coming unglued. Trackers getting a lot of work. Talked the PH into backing off to 300 or so and all was good.

I can't imagine letting a bullet dictate what range I can shoot an animal at

Ive killed plenty of African game with 215s and 168s at short distances with excellent results. I will not speculate what happened on your buddies hunt but my experience does not match this. I have kills from 20 yards to 800. I would not hesitate to use a Berger on any non dangerous game.

Ive killed plenty of African game with 215s and 168s at short distances with excellent results. I will not speculate what happened on your buddies hunt but my experience does not match this. I have kills from 20 yards to 800. I would not hesitate to use a Berger on any non dangerous game.

Even on a 2000lb Eland?

If your answer is "Yes" don't you think that there are better choices for Eland? Any other shot other than a perfect broadside shot, a or slight quartering away shot where you can put that bullet exactly where it needs to go is a recipe for wounded animal and a long tracking job where your animal might not be recovered.

Why people don't match their bullet to the animal and shot condition is beyond me

Even on a 2000lb Eland?

If your answer is "Yes" don't you think that there are better choices for Eland? Any other shot other than a perfect broadside shot, a or slight quartering away shot where you can put that bullet exactly where it needs to go is a recipe for wounded animal and a long tracking job where your animal might not be recovered.

Why people don't match their bullet to the animal and shot condition is beyond me
You are definitely entitled to your opinion. I will answer your question. Even on an Eland ? Yes. Don't you think there is a better bullet? No. I have seen what a Berger 215 will do. In all seriousness I would say a Berger 300 from a 338 would be a better choice but I am not sure I would take a 338 to africa. I can't understand why some one would choose to NOT take a broadside shot at an animal the size of a Eland so I guess you and I will both have to remain perplexed. I did shoot my Kudu at 20ish yards quartering to and it absolutely crushed him. I also know I have made a few poor shots and I have zero doubt the only reason I put my hands on those animals is because of the absolute devastation caused by the Berger 215. The stag in my profile pic is a prime example. We all want to be perfect but the fact is that is just not the case. I have lost track of the number of animals I have killed or witnessed being killed with Bergers and NEVER have I seen what I would call poor performance. I have never had the desire to shoot an eland but I do now. I dont understand the concept of being ok with an animal running as long as there is a good blood trail. I would rather watch the animal drop in its tracks as is the case with most Berger kills.

Last edited:
69E77EC6-57D8-424F-AF45-5F6B73FFE83B.jpeg
I just killed a shiras moose with my 270 win at approximately 75 yards using a 140 gr VLDH. I shoot animals until they go down. Four solid hits behind the shoulder and never had an exit wound . When I opened him up, it was devastating. Each hit would have been enough to kill him.

Unless you get a 3/4 facing away shot, hit a bone, and the bullet explodes in the paunch before reaching the chest cavity

Then I bet you would wish that you were using an all copper or a bonded bullet
Done it more than once same effect as shooting through the ribs, dead fast!!

You are definitely entitled to your opinion. I will answer your question. Even on an Eland ? Yes. Don't you think there is a better bullet? No. I have seen what a Berger 215 will do. In all seriousness I would say a Berger 300 from a 338 would be a better choice but I am not sure I would take a 338 to africa. I can't understand why some one would choose to NOT take a broadside shot at an animal the size of a Eland so I guess you and I will both have to remain perplexed. I did shoot my Kudu at 20ish yards quartering to and it absolutely crushed him. I also know I have made a few poor shots and I have zero doubt the only reason I put my hands on those animals is because of the absolute devastation caused by the Berger 215. The stag in my profile pic is a prime example. We all want to be perfect but the fact is that is just not the case. I have lost track of the number of animals I have killed or witnessed being killed with Bergers and NEVER have I seen what I would call poor performance. I have never had the desire to shoot and eland but I do now. I dont understand the concept of being ok with an animal running as long as there is a good blood trail. I would rather watch the animal drop in its tracks as is the case with most Berger kills.

Im not sure what you meant by the "you and I will remain perplexed @ comment but what I was trying to say about the broadside eland was that pretty much any bullet will kill a broadside animal but what if you had an angling shot. But reading your post further I see that you addressed that issue.

You seem to be getting great results with Berger's so who am I to argue that? Keep at it brother!

Im not sure what you meant by the "you and I will remain perplexed @ comment but what I was trying to say about the broadside eland was that pretty much any bullet will kill a broadside animal but what if you had an angling shot. But reading your post further I see that you addressed that issue.

You seem to be getting great results with Berger's so who am I to argue that? Keep at it brother!

I was just joking that you could not understand "Why people don't match their bullet to the animal and shot condition" and I don't understand why someone would take a poor/lower percentage shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.