300 Grain Berger Terminal Performance on Game

jett

With many hunting seasons well under way, I was wondering what kind of results on game people were seeing while using the 300 grain Bergers.
Thanks

I recently returned from an elk hunt in Oregon and witnessed a one shot kill on a 7 pt elk at over 600 yards with a .338 edge with a 300 grain Berger. Sunny day, low wind and shooter had time to set up shot.

Up here in Canada I use Burgers in all my weapons. From 30/06 to 338/378. Everything I have shot with Burgers have been a DRT. On top of fast one shot kills the long range performance is outstanding. You would have to go a long way to find a better target or hunting bullet. Those individuals that do not use Burgers are missing out on a fantastic bullet. I am sure though that there are individuals on this forum that have used em and don't like em. Well everybody is entitled to their own opinions based on their individual first hand experiences. All of my experiences with Burgers have been positive and would even use em up against the largest coastal grizzley bears.

Up here in Canada I use Burgers in all my weapons. From 30/06 to 338/378. Everything I have shot with Burgers have been a DRT. On top of fast one shot kills the long range performance is outstanding. You would have to go a long way to find a better target or hunting bullet. Those individuals that do not use Burgers are missing out on a fantastic bullet. I am sure though that there are individuals on this forum that have used em and don't like em. Well everybody is entitled to their own opinions based on their individual first hand experiences. All of my experiences with Burgers have been positive and would even use em up against the largest coastal grizzley bears.

I'm here in BC, Canada, and am starting reloading for .338, and would like to try the 300gr. Bergers. What do you use in your 338/378? VLD 300gr.?
Please advice. With anticipation,
terjeness

I have been using the 300 grain bergers for hunting this season. So far, I have shot 4 antelope at ranges from 400 to 940, an elk at a little over 600 and a whitetail at 340. The bergers have performed great on the small antelope and equally well on the elk. Most shots were shoulder shots with one or two being just behind the the shoulder. I got complete pass throughs on all shots with plenty of damage. The ones that hit bone going in were just devastating. The ones that slipped in between ribs did the job as well but with a less impressive exit. All critter have dropped in thier tracks.

Terjeness, The load I am using in my 338 Khan (should work fine in your 338/378) is 102 grains of Retumbo, Fed 214M primer. This is a mild load only running about 2875 out of my 30" barrel. If you have new bergers which will take more velocity you should be able to work up a few more grains and push them a bit faster.

I have been using the 300 grain bergers for hunting this season. So far, I have shot 4 antelope at ranges from 400 to 940, an elk at a little over 600 and a whitetail at 340. The bergers have performed great on the small antelope and equally well on the elk. Most shots were shoulder shots with one or two being just behind the the shoulder. I got complete pass throughs on all shots with plenty of damage. The ones that hit bone going in were just devastating. The ones that slipped in between ribs did the job as well but with a less impressive exit. All critter have dropped in thier tracks.

Terjeness, The load I am using in my 338 Khan (should work fine in your 338/378) is 102 grains of Retumbo, Fed 214M primer. This is a mild load only running about 2875 out of my 30" barrel. If you have new bergers which will take more velocity you should be able to work up a few more grains and push them a bit faster.

Thank you RDM416 as well as you other shooters, it is encouraging to read your threads.
As I am considering bullets, have any of you tried Lapua's Scenar 300gr?
I'd like to try a couple of bullets, but hope to settle on one that performs best for me and rather spend time shooting ........
terjeness

While I have no real data on the Scenar, everything I have read says they are like a FMJ and do not expand. So, they would not be my choice for game.

Thank you Htnbambi! I wonder if there's any difference between the old 250gr Scenar and the newer 300gr. In other words, do you know if the feedback you have read is about the 250 or 300? On the other hand, maybe it shouldn't surprise me, since they are not listed as a hunting bullet.
terjeness

From what I read, its both the 250 and 300. I just ordered a box of 300 Scenars from Graf this weekend so, I will be trying them out on targets this winter. The reports I have read say they almost act like armor piercing rounds. Not the thing you want to shoot an expensive steel plate at close range with. I have seen pics of them only being bent after shooting in some very thick timbers.

I will be using the 300 gr SMK later this week on my oryx (gemsbok) hunt here in NM. Hopefully, I will have first hand knowledge of SMK on big tough critters very soon. gun)

Excellent, Htnbambi! I'll be very curious how you do on your NM hunt....
I hear Hornady has a 285gr. in .338. Has anybody any experinence with this one, or some anecdotal evidence on game?
terjeness

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.