210 berger at close range

laker

I have a friend that is running 210 Bergers at almost 3200fps. He's worried that they will explode if he shoots an elk at 50 yards. I told him put it behind the shoulder and you should be fine. Anyone ever ran them into game at that speed that close?

At 70 yds from a 30/378 Wby in the slats. No steps taken, heart and lungs mush and just some rib meat missing. Another elk at 70-80 from the rear quartering and blew out the brisket with about a third of the brisket damaged. Still a quick kill. For some reason my 30/378 is most accurate with the 210's, but I'm getting close to that with the 215's. It's all about shot placement and under 100 yds that shouldn't be a problem.

I've put Bergers through the shoulder bones before at close range. I wasnt pushing them that fast though. Found just a little ball of lead under the skin on the off side. If it seems/or feels funky it might be. I love Berger bullets, they however are not perfect in all situations. Maybe try an Accubond or A-frame/Partition type bullet.

In my experience the Hybrids are a better option with their heavier jacket . They've worked great for me and my family at all ranges.

300 RUM with 210 Berger VLD MV 3122fps, 2018 bull moose at 98 yards The bull never took a step. Bullet passed thru after exploding the heart.

Attachments

• IMG_2592.jpg
    IMG_2592.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 239
Up close, accuracy is not so much a problem so shot placement is not really an issue but don't take it for granted that any game will just stand there and pose for you so you can shoot them behind the shoulder.... Up close the game will spook easily so a taking a quick shot is important.... IMO- The answer is a bullet quiver. Putting 2 long range bullets in the quiver and single load them. You then load some Hammer Hunters or Barnes in the mag for the closer shots.

Just got back from Africa and shot a Kudu and blue wildebeast (similar to elk size) both at 100 yards or so using a 300 RUM with Berger 215 Hybrids at 2996 FPS (5 shot average MV through Labradar). One animal was quartering away so the shot was behind the shoulder, lodging in the off shoulder; the other animal was quartering towards me so the shot was in the shoulder lodging behind the shoulder in the off side; both animals went about 50 yards and died. Other deer to elk sized animals shot from 100-300 yards all had similar results. My friend used a 28 nosler with Berger 180 hybrids if I remember correctly, I think he is about 3100-3200 fps and he had similar results from 100 - 300 yards. No complaints with Berger hybrids as long as there is good shot placement.

I shot a 150lb whitetail with a 180g. 30-06, it entered the left front quarter below the shoulder at 100yards ish. It dropped him instantly and exited high right shoulder. It blew half of the top of his heart off, some frag traveled through the ribs, and primary projectile made a mess by hitting the right shoulder bone and exited. When I got to the buck, I gave it some time, as I tried to chamber a second cartridge, it jammed by bolt pretty hard and I couldn't get the jammed cartridge out. My friend had a 30-30 lever standing next to me. I walked up to the deer pulled out my Buck 118 and he jumped up under my arm, lifted me off my feet, he tried to kick me with his hind leg but it grazed off my wool pants and layers thankfully. I grabbes his 8 point rack and slit his throat, with so much adrenaline I nearly cut his entire head off. I found out later the top of his heart was completely blown out. I couldn't make this stuff up.. My friend, was in awe. As this played out a 200lb buck ran full speed behind me, and my hunting buddy took a shot and missed. What a day in Maine! My jammed cartridge was well bent on the case. It was an old sportered Enfield sniper rifle.

Just got back from Africa and shot a Kudu and blue wildebeast (similar to elk size) both at 100 yards or so using a 300 RUM with Berger 215 Hybrids at 2996 FPS (5 shot average MV through Labradar). One animal was quartering away so the shot was behind the shoulder, lodging in the off shoulder; the other animal was quartering towards me so the shot was in the shoulder lodging behind the shoulder in the off side; both animals went about 50 yards and died. Other deer to elk sized animals shot from 100-300 yards all had similar results. My friend used a 28 nosler with Berger 180 hybrids if I remember correctly, I think he is about 3100-3200 fps and he had similar results from 100 - 300 yards. No complaints with Berger hybrids as long as there is good shot placement.
I don't think you need more than 3050 with either bullet and those definitely would be my choice if I had a big 30. The 7mm 180 shoots fine if you have a 8.5/1 twist. Good shootin'.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.