Long range bullets at close range

I'm curious to read folks' opinions on something.
You are carrying one rifle. The buttstock ammo pouch holds several rounds. You could carry several different loads.

What is your opinion of keeping the chamber empty until an opportune shot presents itself ?
Take a moment to size up the situation.
You would then hand chamber a single round, the most appropriate round for that distance/animal/etc.

Is this strategy too picky/simplistic/idealistic/silly/ inconvenient/stupid/ all of the above ?

I have no hidden agenda asking this, just curious.

Now, I don't mean that you shouldn't at all times have some means of self defense against predators,
that's self defense not hunting.
I have a two bullet solution for certain chamberings and work flawless. I run my 0-600 bullet in the chamber and mag if I'm using one and all bullets available are that kind. Rifle is zeroed on that round.

Any situation beyond that requires more time for the shot, I always dial and use a wind meter at these ranges and so I slip the long range round in that I carry either in my coat pocket or pack. If the animal and shot require more speed than a careful shot analysis will allow it wasn't the right shot and we keep hunting. Works extremely smooth!

Gday
I'm curious to read folks' opinions on something.
You are carrying one rifle. The buttstock ammo pouch holds several rounds. You could carry several different loads.

What is your opinion of keeping the chamber empty until an opportune shot presents itself ?
Take a moment to size up the situation.
You would then hand chamber a single round, the most appropriate round for that distance/animal/etc.

Is this strategy too picky/simplistic/idealistic/silly/ inconvenient/stupid/ all of the above ?

I have no hidden agenda asking this, just curious.

Now, I don't mean that you shouldn't at all times have some means of self defense against predators,
that's self defense not hunting.
To me it depends on where & what your hunting
Today I don't need to adhere to as closely as I use to but here's what I used to do that may be like some people or different strokes for different folks is also cool it's having a easy no clutter system that is repeatable under pressure that you don't grab the wrong pill by mistake so here's mine

Overall I like to have my magazine full & pills in order of most likely
If I'm walking to get to a advantage spot to glass I want a pill that can handle the worst possible angle as if your lucky to get that jumped animal the majority of the time it's a raking shot followed by the energy dump type pills following this round as usually you only get a single shot in the wooded areas

Low scrub & jumped animal I liked 2 in the first to be fired of the raking shots pill& remaing the energy dump pills

Just cycle & remove the all angle pill if your in the need for that longer range pill as you've got time & no pressure

Now move to DG or real tough critters I was energy dump first to be fired followed by all solids
Now on these when shooting single shot rifles still energy dump first but 2 solids held between fingers in the rifle forehand hand ready for those follow up ( need to be careful on solid first in some scenarios as it's not ideal in mobs )

First shot on the majority of these shots were broadside angles first then it's raking
When I was back if things go wrong shooter the solid was it & a good solid is a must

Where / what I think most guys can do is if they want to run the following to reach way out is run your reliable exit pill across most resistances to a sighted in pbr then hold hair is the only thing needed to be concerned about once ranged if it looks past your consistent range estimations or range ( I also do a pbr for wind ) that will depending on caliber & pill cover 90% of people's needs I would think after that pole on here on animal take range

Then if your a long way out you will have time to setup do your sums remove your pbr pill & dial accordingly

On energy dump pill I still want a reliable exit on a slight angled broadside as a absolute minimum but ea to own

Today I'm not worried I can run one pill & get my parameters across nearly all scenarios

Side note I use to either put a sharpie mark on case head to stop confusion in heat of moment but best was run 2 different brands of brass preferably one nickel

Only concern is will that out there pill be ok if it's a different brand & how does that brand like a different pill running down the bore prior to its journey 🤷‍♂️I guess the cold bore & fouling shot situation/discussion is maybe around the corner 😜

no proof read gotta cruise
Cheers