what Brand rifle would are you planning to buy in the next 6 months

What brand are you planning on buying in the next 6 months?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was sorry to see the Marlin folks go -- I love my custom shop Marlins. Those days are gone forever.

used to have gunsmith work done on my rifles by a guy that served his apprenticeship with Purdy in the UK. This guy was about the best I've ever seen, but hated working on bolt guns (he did all of mine). He made his money rebuilding African Doubles at well over a hundred dollars an hour. When he came over here he discovered the lever action and falling blocks we all so dearly love. He fell in love with lever guns as well. Somewhere along his path in life he lays his hands on a nice little Marlin 336 in 30-30. He rebarrels it with a 30" octagon barrel with a full length mag tube in 30-30AI. Sights are high dollar spirit level in front, and a tang sight in the rear (not Lyman). Replaces all the wood with really nice walnut in an oil finish with a brass cresent butt plate. Reciever is engraved lightly with checkering done by a guy we often see in magazines. He goes to the Great Plains Shoot in Kentucky one year, and takes it along for the fun of it. A rifle he built won (two years in a row) chambered in 30-06 (Remington 700). But the talk of the shoot was his 30-30AI!! He later gets his hands on another Marlin 336, and builds one with 24" barrel in similar fashion, but with regular sights. The checkering pattern is Winchester presentation grade from around 1900. Seems like he might have later built a 45-70 or some other caliber off of that case. Now folks are beating on his door wanting one! He gets $2800 and you furnish the action and a lesser grade of walnut with standard sights. I'd have loved to have seen what he could have done with a Savage 99 in .300
gary

That's interesting to hear mate. I've been looking at at a Rem 700 in 308 or 300 mag. Which areas do you think Remington are falling behind in?
First off, I'm a huge Rem 700 fan. It is my favorite action hands-down. Next is the Browning A-Bolt II, then the Weatherby Mark-V. I am blessed enough to have atleast 1, of each of the above.

If you want a good factory built Remington sporter model that will have a good smooth bore (not rough and chunky like some of the newer ones have from slacking quality control), find you an older model (90's-early 2000's). If you want a great newer model Rem you will have to pay for it. Their upper end stuff is more gun than the cheaper priced models. If you want a good heavy barreled .308 or .300 WM, buy a 700 5R model. They have Obermeyer 5R rifled barrels on them from the factory. And let me tell you, they can shoot right out of the box...But if I were you I'd snatch that crappy X-Mark Pro trigger out and put a tuned Jewell trigger in there before you ever even shoot it. Next couple of weeks the X-Mark is coming out of my 5R .308, and in will go the Jewell.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts