what Brand rifle would are you planning to buy in the next 6 months

What brand are you planning on buying in the next 6 months?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I Think Jason and Greyfox have the more well rounded argument. Marketing and reputation win the general populace at first then reputation. I think the only reason I would not by a savage is cause I think they are quite ugly, even back to the 1899 levers they were ugly (I still like it, my buddy has one). Lets face it how nice it looks in you hand still plays a part in marketing.

-my opinion, yours may differ and thats okay. But I'm always right:)!!

Dave

I'm a mechanical engineer, and a machine builder as well. When I look at just about anything, I start to take it apart in my head. Samething with a rifle, but I look at the basic design concept. Then I'll look at the way the item cycles (be a CNC lathe or a rifle). The "99" series of rifles as well as the Sako Finnwulf still to this very day command respect amonst their peers. The advent of the "99" made everyother lever gun into a clunker, and things have not changed much in 100 years or so.

With regards to bolt guns in particular, how can one say a Remington, Winchester, or a Savage is pretty? Face it they are OK, but nothing pretty about them! Ruger does a better job blueing (along with Weatherby). Style wise it's hard to beat the looks of a Weatherby or a Styre (sp). But looks does not always mean it's a great design concept. I think most folks confuse functionality with looks, thinking looks is the only thing that matters. That be the case then all of you shoot clunkers compaired to my Lo-Wall in .223! The fit and finish is better than most cars! But I also know that little .223 won't shoot with the big boys. Truth be known, you could make a Savage or a Remingtion look very nice with a custom bolt shroud and a mirror like finish on the metal. Seriously after a coyote hunt in a drainage ditch with sleet & snow comming down; none of the rifles are pretty! Usually have mud and crud on them, but still function quite well.
gary

I'm a mechanical engineer, and a machine builder as well. When I look at just about anything, I start to take it apart in my head. Samething with a rifle, but I look at the basic design concept. Then I'll look at the way the item cycles (be a CNC lathe or a rifle). The "99" series of rifles as well as the Sako Finnwulf still to this very day command respect amonst their peers. The advent of the "99" made everyother lever gun into a clunker, and things have not changed much in 100 years or so.

With regards to bolt guns in particular, how can one say a Remington, Winchester, or a Savage is pretty? Face it they are OK, but nothing pretty about them! Ruger does a better job blueing (along with Weatherby). Style wise it's hard to beat the looks of a Weatherby or a Styre (sp). But looks does not always mean it's a great design concept. I think most folks confuse functionality with looks, thinking looks is the only thing that matters. That be the case then all of you shoot clunkers compaired to my Lo-Wall in .223! The fit and finish is better than most cars! But I also know that little .223 won't shoot with the big boys. Truth be known, you could make a Savage or a Remingtion look very nice with a custom bolt shroud and a mirror like finish on the metal. Seriously after a coyote hunt in a drainage ditch with sleet & snow comming down; none of the rifles are pretty! Usually have mud and crud on them, but still function quite well.
gary

Gary,
A. I never said "Pretty" But i meant more pleasing to the eye. But you are correct. And by the way even after I am done hunting in a drainage ditch and gross, chicks still dig me.
You could have bought a rusty but accurate *** in .223 but you know a well built gun when you see one so you bought the "pretty gun" not the hang out in a field clunking in the back of a pick up truck with gum wrappers and chewing tobacco tin gun, **** thing still shoots ugly. But still that old SAV 99 and win 94 could be pretty one cleaned up....check doug turnbulls stuff out. Thats Purdy.

But you make a good point.

Dave

For shear beauty and function with the ultimate in strength look at a Colt Sauer.
But at what cost? Maybe todays cnc's and edm's could produce something like it
cheaper but I doubt cheap enough to appeal to the masses. In my trade the last 5%
of perfection was 90% of the time in many cases.

Last edited:
I've always liked Savage, but my next buy will likely be a Cooper.

To me Remingtons seem more like a mega-produced gunsmith training aid..
And they get about as much attention as an SKS around here..
I know there are good ones out there. But they don't hold any more value than the bad ones.

Savage took a big step change with accutrigger. That was what everyone was waiting for.
Trigger aside, nothin has really changed.
They were always good guns, just nothing fancy, limited in aftermarket, and there is still the possibilty of buying a bad one(I actually did once).

Coopers have limited aftermarket also. But they're special in that you don't have to do anything to them. They're right between big factory and true custom, while being a better investment than either(money/time wise).
I don't want a lot of options or aftermarket. I wanna scope it, develop a load, & go hunting.

In heaven, I'm hoping to skip load development!

Weatherby 257, Mark V Deluxe on the way. McWhorter almost done, just got my MG arms, got a winchester Mod 70 extreme weather coming, Sako 85 stainless in 300wsm ordered, would like to find a 6.5 creedmore but they dont exist yet in the advertised models gun)

Gary,
A. I never said "Pretty" But i meant more pleasing to the eye. But you are correct. And by the way even after I am done hunting in a drainage ditch and gross, chicks still dig me.
You could have bought a rusty but accurate *** in .223 but you know a well built gun when you see one so you bought the "pretty gun" not the hang out in a field clunking in the back of a pick up truck with gum wrappers and chewing tobacco tin gun, **** thing still shoots ugly. But still that old SAV 99 and win 94 could be pretty one cleaned up....check doug turnbulls stuff out. Thats Purdy.

But you make a good point.

Dave

I own two 99's in .300 Sav. One is a 1943 model with the tang site. The other is a standard grade 99 that is near mint. Both guns are rotary magazine types. One of these days I'm going to restock the standard grade one with some really nice walnut. The one rifle that has eluded me my whole life is the sako Finnwulf!! I just want one really really bad! Personally I'm a Marlin person, but own two or three 94's. I just love lever guns, and falling blocks.
gary

I've always liked Savage, but my next buy will likely be a Cooper.

To me Remingtons seem more like a mega-produced gunsmith training aid..
And they get about as much attention as an SKS around here..
I know there are good ones out there. But they don't hold any more value than the bad ones.

Savage took a big step change with accutrigger. That was what everyone was waiting for.
Trigger aside, nothin has really changed.
They were always good guns, just nothing fancy, limited in aftermarket, and there is still the possibilty of buying a bad one(I actually did once).

Coopers have limited aftermarket also. But they're special in that you don't have to do anything to them. They're right between big factory and true custom, while being a better investment than either(money/time wise).
I don't want a lot of options or aftermarket. I wanna scope it, develop a load, & go hunting.

In heaven, I'm hoping to skip load development!

actually if you really take a good look out there, just about everything for a Remington can be bought for a Savage. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the trigger guard assembly.

The only Coopers I've messed with are their 22 rimfire target rifles. Good out of the box, but still won't run with the big dogs at a shoot. A buddy of mine and I rebuilt one twice, and rechambered it with a much better chamber, and it was still a mid threes gun at fifty yards. Then I built a tuner, and shot lots and lots of low twos and high ones. Still wasn't good enough, but did place 5th in it's first outting down at Borden. Had to doit over again, I told tony we need a 52D as a base to build off of.
gary

For shear beauty and function with the ultimate in strength look at a Colt Sauer.
But at what cost? Maybe todays cnc's and edm's could produce something like it
cheaper but I doubt cheap enough to appeal to the masses. In my trade the last 5%
of perfection was 90% of the time in many cases.

That is putting it very eloquently

dave

That is putting it very eloquently

dave

I looked at a Colt Saur chambered in 30-06 at the Colt booth on a visit to the NRA Convention many years back. Later I had the chance to buy that rifle for a little under $700. Almost did, but a friend of mine that was a dealer had the prettiest MK.V. Weatherby in .257mag (blond stock at that). It was actually ordered and paid for in advance by a fellow that passed away before he recieved the rifle. I had about $365 in it! Interestingly the Colt folks had a Saur chambered in .300 WBY. mag on display, but have never seen another anywhere.
gary

I looked at a Colt Saur chambered in 30-06 at the Colt booth on a visit to the NRA Convention many years back. Later I had the chance to buy that rifle for a little under $700. Almost did, but a friend of mine that was a dealer had the prettiest MK.V. Weatherby in .257mag (blond stock at that). It was actually ordered and paid for in advance by a fellow that passed away before he recieved the rifle. I had about $365 in it! Interestingly the Colt folks had a Saur chambered in .300 WBY. mag on display, but have never seen another anywhere.
gary

Did'nt colt make another bolt action the was not very well received?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts