300RUM, what would you buy?

woods

I have a friend who wants to buy a 300RUM. I tried to talk him into a 338RUM which is what I have dies and brass for but he doesn't care about that.

For all you 300RUM owners out there, what is your opinion on the following questions if you were starting from scratch

1. What rifle would you buy? I mentioned a Sendero cause he wants a synthetic stock.
2. Do any of the rifles have a problem with magazine length when trying to load close to the lands?
3. Would you recommend getting one of the factory guns with a muzzle brake or just a heavy rifle?
4. Any other choices, recommendations or opinions out there as far as rifle choices (accuracy, headspace, recoil, etc)?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I have a 300rum I can load just a hair past 3.600 coal i've been told to buy an extended box mag. You can get one from midway usa for $25.00 that would allow you to load I believe it sayed 3.850 not sure the exact amount. Should get you closer to the lands. If you go with the 300rum you could always rebarrel it to a 338 edge. Just my opinion

I have a friend who wants to buy a 300RUM. I tried to talk him into a 338RUM which is what I have dies and brass for but he doesn't care about that.

For all you 300RUM owners out there, what is your opinion on the following questions if you were starting from scratch

1. What rifle would you buy? I mentioned a Sendero cause he wants a synthetic stock.

Senderos are decent. I think you can also get a PSS in 300 RUM.

2. Do any of the rifles have a problem with magazine length when trying to load close to the lands?

With a factory stick with a case this big, you wont get any where near the lands. A factory 700 using a wyatts box will get you to 3.700" Still not enough to engage the lands. Engaging the lands IMHO is highly over-rated esspecially in big boomers like the RUM's.

3. Would you recommend getting one of the factory guns with a muzzle brake or just a heavy rifle?

Heavy rifle AND muzzle brake.

4. Any other choices, recommendations or opinions out there as far as rifle choices (accuracy, headspace, recoil, etc)?

My opinion on head space with the RUM is that it should be tight. Within .002" I have had head space issue in the past and causes very tough extraction. You do NOT want a 300 RUM case shoulder movong much at all. It maybe different for other calibers but the RUMs can give you hell.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Thanks, about what I thought.

It always ****es me off when I can't load where I want to because of mag length. I figured the 300 RUM would have a short mag for the length of the case. Just like most 300 win mags. It seems they set the mag length for the 264 win mag, 338 win mag or the 7 rem mag and most of the mags are too short for the 300 win mag. I know that loading to the lands is not necessary for accuracy but it still ****es me off.

PSS? Is that the police special?

In my experience, the very most important thing in buying a RUM is barrel contour. I had a fully tricked Rem. 700 in 3000RUM... action trued, "ultimate sniper" stock bedded right, etc. etc. It had a very thin Shilen bbl... about like the contour of a Tikka T3.

Its not that it wasnt accurate, it was just so stupidly load sensitive that it wasnt worth owning unless I didnt hunt with it. To be specific, it would keep 180 nos bal tips in 1/2" all day, but THATS IT!

Several other 180g bullets that I tried (your gonna think Im making this up) were turning in 4-5" groups.

I sold the thing, bought a mildly tricked sendero and now I can shoot whatever I want.

My reply within...

I'd go with the Sendero. It's a great rifle and shoots excellent out of the box at least for me it does.

I know my Sendero will not allow me to put them nearly on the lands like I do with other rifles, but in all honesty the 300RUM doesn't seem to care either as it didn't make much difference when I tested it nearly on the lands and just to the length that it fit in the magazine.

The Sendero is a fairly heavy rifle out of the box. I personally don't see the need for the expese of putting a muzzle break on the rifle at least not just for hunting purposes.

A lot of people complain about recoil on these large magnums, but I just don't personally see it. Sure they kick quite a bit, but they don't come close to some 12 gauge shotguns I've fired so....

3.700 still not enough to engage the lands wyatt's extended box mag. Product #633806 outside length 3.900'' inside length 3.820'' requires gunsmithing for instillation.. If this is the one you have are you sure all you can get is 3.700 because I thought about upgrading mine to the wyatt if not they shouldn't advertise it!!

3.700 still not enough to engage the lands wyatt's extended box mag. Product #633806 outside length 3.900'' inside length 3.820'' requires gunsmithing for instillation.. If this is the one you have are you sure all you can get is 3.700 because I thought about upgrading mine to the wyatt if not they shouldn't advertise it!!

I pulled my box out and it is indeed 3.820"

The bottom metal is the problem. In a 700 action, the 3rd round in the magazine sits partially up against the bottom metal cut out and this allows for 3.700 max.

Sorry for the confusion.

If you only used it as a 2 round magazine, then 3.800 should work ok.

It doesnt look like there is enough meat on the bottom metal to make it 3.820.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.