What backpack hunts are you planning for 2014?

I'm booked with Stan Stevens for Dall sheep, moose and caribou for 10 days in the Yukon. Gotta thank Grand Slam Ovis for that one! 14 weeks and counting

That is definitely going to be an epic trip! By the way, welcome to the forum.

So what rifle(s) are going to bring on the trip?

Oregon Archery 4 weeks, elk and deer
One base camp
Two spike camps. One 3 miles into a wilderness area and one 15 miles
Got to be honest. Horses get to do the packing
My Son gets to come for about 10 days, looking forward to it.

I'm planning at least one if not two 4-5 day hunts for black bear and I hope to hit the 10 day wilderness mule deer high hunt.

Oregon Archery 4 weeks, elk and deer
One base camp
Two spike camps. One 3 miles into a wilderness area and one 15 miles
Got to be honest. Horses get to do the packing
My Son gets to come for about 10 days, looking forward to it.

Sounds awesome. How old is your son?

How old is my son? He's 38. Ouch, that makes me really old. You know until someone asks a question about age, it's something I don't really think about. We enjoy each others company and have been full time hunting partners since he was old enough to follow along.

Well that is really cool that you both have hunted so much together. I guess the only reason I asked was because my sons are 2 years old and the younger one is only 11 months ...obviously not old enough for hunting, so I'm looking forward to when they'll be able to tag along. What you've got going with your son is probably every dad's dream.

Well that is really cool that you both have hunted so much together. I guess the only reason I asked was because my sons are 2 years old and the younger one is only 11 months ...obviously not old enough for hunting, so I'm looking forward to when they'll be able to tag along. What you've got going with your son is probably every dad's dream.

I'm very thankful for the relationship that we have. It sounds like you hope to have a couple future hunting partners. I wish you and your sons the best.

7-8 day mule deer hunt in NW Wyoming. Last year was my first attempt at a semi backpack/bascamp hunt that proved unsuccessful in the meat department but abundantly successful in the educational/lessons learned department. Undeterred I'm trying again. I should find out the specific region/area draw soon. I'm just itching to find out where I'm going and start making maps and plans.

7-8 day mule deer hunt in NW Wyoming. Last year was my first attempt at a semi backpack/bascamp hunt that proved unsuccessful in the meat department but abundantly successful in the educational/lessons learned department. Undeterred I'm trying again. I should find out the specific region/area draw soon. I'm just itching to find out where I'm going and start making maps and plans.

Great to see so many guys planning amazing hunts! When do you find out your draw?

I just got my Colorado Elk and Deer draw results this week, so It's official now, the plan is in action. OTC either sex archery tag, hunt the last 8 - 10 days of September.

Draw 1st season cow elk tag + OTC bear tag, 5+ days.

2nd season buck tag, probably only get the last weekend out of that one.

Anybody else get draw results?

Great to see so many guys planning amazing hunts! When do you find out your draw?

I just got my Colorado Elk and Deer draw results this week, so It's official now, the plan is in action. OTC either sex archery tag, hunt the last 8 - 10 days of September.

Draw 1st season cow elk tag + OTC bear tag, 5+ days.

2nd season buck tag, probably only get the last weekend out of that one.

Anybody else get draw results?

Draw is supposed to happen in early June. I'm thinking the draw results will be out in about 2 maybe 3 weeks. I'm already thinking ahead to next year and it will probably be Idaho or CO for me. I am really hoping to draw a buck tag in a WY area that is open in September. Last year's mid October hunt was a bit rough weather wise.

Waiting on CA draw results. Either way I will be spending at least a week on one or the other side of the Pacific Crest Trail depending on the tag I draw. Don't have my hopes up for drawing a CA sheep, elk or antelope. Obviously if I win the lottery and get a sheep that will take precedent over every other aspect of my life.

Waiting on CA draw results. Either way I will be spending at least a week on one or the other side of the Pacific Crest Trail depending on the tag I draw. Don't have my hopes up for drawing a CA sheep, elk or antelope. Obviously if I win the lottery and get a sheep that will take precedent over every other aspect of my life.

What are the chances of getting a sheep tag? I know it's low, but I have not kept up on the California draws for a while. That sheep hunt sure would be awesome if you got it.

Sheep odds? How about impossible:1 :D

Last year there were 20 tags this year it is down to 13. 6 of those tags are only available to Max Point holders. Unfortunately I was dumb and young when the preference point system came out. I was finishing college, getting married, having kids, buying a house and did not apply the first few years. I had never applied out of state and wasn't aware or really thinking about the whole process. I now sit a few years behind max point holders and realize in my lifetime while I'm still fit enough to chase them up at the tops of those peaks I will most likely never make it to max points. I basically donate my $$$ to the sheep tag fund. I can accept that fact as I made the mistake. What kills me is my kids had no choice in when they were born and will be 15+ years behind the curve with the majority of tag always out of reach. The system of reserving a significant portion of tags for max point holders is extremely unfair for young and new hunters.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.