What backpack hunts are you planning for 2014?

That is definitely going to be an epic trip! By the way, welcome to the forum.

So what rifle(s) are going to bring on the trip?

I've settled on my Tikka T3 in 7mag with a Z3 BT scope.

I won another trip to Nanuvut with Canada North for caribou and muskox and I'm finding out these "free" trips are really expensive!

I kind of wish I had gone ahead and bought the Borden rifle they had up for auction, but I'm very happy with the weight feel cost and accuracy of the Tikka.

Heading out to the far northeast corner of California for a mule deer hunt int he wilderness area. Start at 6,000 ft and ascend upwards to the peaks at 10,000
Looking forward to some cold nights and big bucks !

I head to Colorado this Friday for a 5 night backpack scouting trip. I've been working out like crazy but I still know it's going to kick my butt. I'll be gaining a lot of elevation as soon as I arrive from the flatlands of Wisconsin.

I'm scouting for a late September archery elk hunt. I'll be up in the 12,000 foot range. I've been dreaming about being back in the mountains since I left for the last time last fall. Can't Wait!!!

I head to Colorado this Friday for a 5 night backpack scouting trip. I've been working out like crazy but I still know it's going to kick my butt. I'll be gaining a lot of elevation as soon as I arrive from the flatlands of Wisconsin.

I'm scouting for a late September archery elk hunt. I'll be up in the 12,000 foot range. I've been dreaming about being back in the mountains since I left for the last time last fall. Can't Wait!!!

Awesome. You are really hunting some high country up at 12,000 ft. Not much oxygen up there no matter how good of shape you're in! Good luck scouting and be safe.

I'm hoping for a mid August scouting trip for my late September archery hunt. Do some fishing too at the high lakes and cut down a few dead trees where I'm planning on setting up my camp.

What part of Colorado?

I'm back guys. It was a blast. I was near Leadville.

I put on lots of miles and lots of vertical. I saw lots of sign, a good number of elk, and a great bachelor group with some nice bulls.

I was lucky that each time some big thunderstorms hit I happened to be back at the trailhead by my rental car and was able to hang out there and watch the lighting. I was very glad not to be up above timberline for a couple of them.

I'll be writing in much more detail about my trip soon. I'm pretty tired today. My flight was delayed 2 1/2 hours last night and I ended up sitting next to a nice young mom with her 2 and 4 year olds, so no sleep for me on the flight. I arrived home at 3:30 this morning.

Here are some high country pics for you guys from the last few days. Love being up there in the summer!

Didn't have my spotter and digi-scope setup with me so no bull pics. Sorry!

2014 Elk Scouting Trip 073 (2).jpg

2014 Elk Scouting Trip 117 (2).jpg

2014 Elk Scouting Trip 109 (2).jpg

2014 Elk Scouting Trip 094 (2).jpg

2014 Elk Scouting Trip 074 (2).jpg

2014 Elk Scouting Trip 051 (2).jpg

Here are some high country pics for you guys from the last few days. Love being up there in the summer!

Awesome. It sounds like your scouting trip was a success. Hopefully you were able to find some good honey holes that you can plan on hunting in during the first couple days of the season. And good to hear you were able to avoid any dangerous situations with lightening, here on the front range we had quite a few thunder storms roll through.

And thanks for the great pictures!

Have been doing a few this year already here in NZ. Over the summer up in the Ruahines with my two boys (9 and 12 years old). Normally limit the walk in to 2 - 3 hours with the kids. Target red deer for meat over the summer period.

Have had some good success with pack in hunting on the Sika this year with a couple of good stags getting a ride out.

Just working up some loads in the next couple of weeks and will be back in the Kawekas with the pack on looking for that ever elusive bigger stag. Stags don't cast until about end of Sept in this part of the world.

Good hunting

J

Getting geared up for an archery/rifle hunt on the Haul Road in northern Alaska. It'll be my second year going up and hope to be successful again. brought back a nice and tasty caribou bull. I'll be up ther for 9-10 days at the beginning of september.

Northwest Wyoming Black bears, Mule deer, and hopefully a wolf.
Late season cow elk tag for Meeteetse, Wyoming area.
The J34 will be well used this year.

Just got everything packed up. Heading to the Wyoming backcountry for mulies when i get off work tomorow. Making this trip by myself. Dont have a lot time to hunt for myself this year so im trying to stuff everything into a short time.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.