What Action for New 6.5mm ?

Musket_0

I have heard good things on the FAL and the Mauser actions. But not sure what to go with. Open to other ideas also. I am new to LR sight, but not shooting. I have built many black powder rifles, but just finnished my first LR rifle. Jap7.7 rechambered to .30-06, holds 3 shots in same hole at 100yrd, but only got 1.25 at 200yrd. Hope to get better with practice.
New gun will have a Douglas Barrel with 1-9 twist to hopfuly hold up a 160gr 6.5mm. And stock I will do custom. But need input on a good action to operate with. Please Help. Jeff

Musket O

think you will find that the 140-147gr is the best and most accurate 6.5 bullets to use.

Either 8.5 or 9 twist will be best.

Either action will work ok if you are trying to build hunting type rifle. Both have significant obstacles to overcome for top BR type accuracy, but not impossible.

Good BR quality barrel will cost $250-290 so why not go thought route if you want top notch accuracy and have gunsmith blueprint and true the action.

Most will recommend that you just go with good used 700 long action and true it up. Better options as far as triggers, scope bases, recoil lugs, faster firing pins, stocks etc.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.