What Action For 338 Laupa

bjlooper

Hi
I'm planning a long range hunting Rifle and I'm trying to decide between a 338 Laupa case and a RUM. I've read that the Rem 700 is not safe with the Laupa case. What Actions do you recomend. I would like a repeater. Has any one tried a CZ 550 416 rigby it should be a drop in. if the accuracy is good enough.

Baylor,

The 338 RUM and the LM are for practical purposes ballistic twins. I have built several of both in repeater mode on 700's and even Remington now has available to military and law enforcement a 338 LM rifle. The 338 RUM has the advantage of way less expemsive brass, holds 1 more round and factory ammo is widely available ( Federal even has a 225 Accubond loading). I would give my vote toward the 700 in the 338 RUM.

Bjlopper,

I would agree with Shawn 100% on this one. Of the offered factory receivers to use, the Rem 700 would be my choice. I would also add that I would recommend a chrome moly receiver as well as the steel is harder and resists bolt lug set back better then the stainless receiver. This is for a 338 Lapua chambering.

Just a bit more added margin of safety and longer barrel life.

Loaded to safe loads the Lapua is perfectly safe in a properly worked over Rem 700.

The 338 RUM is also a great round for all the reasons already mentioned. If you are not apposed to wildcats I would also recommend the 338 Edge(shameless plug for you Shawn!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). Offer a bit more then either of the 338 RUM or Lapua but with the same ease of fitting into the Rem 700 receiver as the 338 RUM. This round is the 300 RUM necked up to 338 caliber. Basically 0.090" longer case body then the standard 338 RUM.

If your looking for extreme long range accuracy and consistancy, The CZ would not be my first choice, in fact it would not make my short list of choices!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Just to round out the commentary. My 550 based Lapua holds 4 in the mag and feeds really well. The mag is very long. It can accomodate OAL close to 4". I had a 20 MOA picatinny rail made for it. If I hold it tight it shoots almost as well as my smaller caliber Rem 700s. It seems to shoot better (relative to my 700s) the farther out I shoot it.

Just be patient--Jerry Stiller is going to make his version that will handle the 338 Lapua (my favorite family) and its derivatives and I have the short version of this action so just be patient and wait for a good action rather than spend money working on a Remington. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shawn makes an exellent rifle; 338 Edge.
That being said, you could go my route and get an AR-30 in 338 Lapua a very solid action, and save $500 bucks or so for reloading supplies, optics or save for your next barrel. The brass is pricy, I paid $250 for 200rds, but hands down the best quality.
I belive savage makes a .416 that you could convert, and there is always the 338-378wby if you really want to sling em down range.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.