Custom Build Choices - What action?

scoutm

I'm in the process of developing an idea for my first custom rifle build. I've been doing a ton of reading and I think I've pretty much decided on everything but the actions and the caliber. I know I want it based on the short mag case but can't decide between the .264, .277 or .284.

Everyting I've read and my preference for the 3 position safety has led me to the Model 1999 Montana action. Any experience or thoughts on this action? Any other recommendations.

The build is going to become my primary deer/antelope hunting rifle if that helps.

Thanks.

My thought is basing the action on a 3 position safety may be a bit short sighted.

You may wish to contact the smiths on here and do some checking.

Depending on what your ultimate goal is I haven't heard Montana actions recommended.

It's not just the 3 position safety. I really mike the M70 action and I want to be on the long end of the short actions so I have more room to play with seating depth. I have a Rem 700 SA in 300wsm and I am so limited by the magazine length.

I've found a few threads that offered mixed reviews of t he action.

scoutm,

Okey DOkey,

I now understand where you are coming from. You'll do ok. You are on your own right track and will end up with something you will be pleased with.

Keep on truckin'.

Keep us posted.

Regards

royinidaho - thanks for the encouragement. I've found that Mcmillian has introduced a CRF Medium length action with 3 position safey. It looks pretty nice and a bit lighter than the others I've looked at but way more expensive.

Anyone have any experience with this action?

McMillan G30 Control Round Feed Action

If your going to flip out the bill for a custom action, I would build the wsm on a long action, This will eliminate any concerns over OALs, and down the road when it's time for a rebarrel you have many more options on cartriges. Buy a wsm short and thats all you will ever fit in that action.

SURGEON ACTION AND .284!

Besides the fact that Jim See is building my 7mm SAUM with a Surgeon Action, if you do some research you will see, as I did, how superior of an action they are. I decided on the 7mm because of the ultra high BC bullets that are available.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts